1. The big success i_____ us greatly.
2. She is o_____ about her chances of winning a gold medal.
3. In some parts if the world there is an extreme c____, and it is very hot in summer and very cold in winter.
4. They are known to set a high v____ on good presentation skills.
5. They t___ to kill him unless he did as they asked.
6. “All work and no play makes Jack a d____ boy.” means that someone who works all of the time will become boring and uninteresting.
7. They could make life very m____ for us if we refuse to cooperate with them.
8. Oprah’s life shows us that hard work and d____ are road to self-improvement.
9. I’ve been s____ to understand this article all morning.
10. It is most g____ of you to lend me the money.
II. Fill in the blanks
1. That house is ____. There is nothing in it now.
2. Your uncle is not ___ about this money. He is very ____ to buy you that expensive car for your birthday.
3. The new employee was ____ and quick to learn.
4. He was so ___ the night before his examination that they can’t sleep.
5. That woman is ____ and she is busy all day long.
6. The poor boy can’t see anything because he is ____.
7. He is so ____ that he can move such a heavy stone easily.
8. In the past, the Chinese people lived a ____ life.
9. The whole nation are ____(庆祝) Beijing’s success in bidding 2008 Olympic Games.
10. Black is the _____(相反的) of white.
11. He received a letter of ____(挑战) saying that his record would be broken in three days.
12. The robber ____(威胁) to kill one employee in the bank if the police wouldn’t let him leave.
13. The ____(斜度) of the roof is big in order to agree with the rainy weather in the south.
14. The rain is becoming bigger and bigger and we had better go to a ____(躲避处) from the rain.
15. Though we met with so many difficulties, we still kept ____(乐观的) so as to overcome them and succeed.
16. He is thankful to his wife because she was a constant _____(鼓舞，激励) to him in his work.
17. It was _____(大度) of them to share their house with those who had difficulties.
18. Our Party highly ___(诊视) the wisdom of the people.
1. A. She seems very disappointed. What has happened?
B. She seems very disappointed. What has _____ ______ her?
2. A. When I was 50 I was the first woman who traveled alone to the North Pole.
B. _____ 50 I was the first woman ______ ______ alone to the North Pole.
3. A. I was struggling through the stormy weather on the third day.
B. I was ____ _____ _____ through the stormy weather on the third day.
4. A. He is healthy though very old.
B. He is ____ _____ ____ though very old.
5. A. We can’t possibly go on with the repair work because of the rainy weather.
B. The rainy weather _____ _____ ____ for us to go on with the repair work.
1. be known to / as / for
(1) His little son is known ____ the police because he has been caught stealing in the supermarket several times.
(2) He is known ____ a successful TV host of a talk show which talks about great expedition in modern times.
(3) The town is known ____ its beautiful scenery.
That bridge is 50 meters long. This is a 200 meter long bridge. We can say:
(1) This bridge is ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ that one.
(2) This bridge is ____ ______ ______ ______ ____ that one.
(3) This bridge is ____ _____ _____ _____ that one.
3. in order to, in order that, so as to, so that
(1) What do you think is needed ____ _____ _____ be a successful woman?
(2) ____ _____ _____ realize his dream, he works very hard.
(3) They set off early ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ they may arrive in time.
(4) _____ _____ _____ the plan could be carried out, they hold a meeting for their lives.
1. inspires/inspired 2.optimistic 3. climate 4. value 5. threatened 6. dull 7. miserable
II. 1. empty 2. mean; generous 3. smart 4. tense 5. hardworking 6. blind 7. strong 8. miserable 9. celebrating 10. opposite 11. challenge 12. threatened 13. slope 14. shelter 15. optimistic 16. inspiration 17. generous 18. values
III. 1. become of 2. At; to travel 3. making my way 4. in good health 5. makes it impossible
IV. 1. (1) to (2) as (3) for 2. (1) 4 times as long as (2) 4 times the length of (3) 3 times longer than
3. (1) in order to (2) In order to (3) in order that / so that (4) In order that