1. Who could not take part in the ancient Olympic Games? 谁不能参加古代的奥运会？
△take part (in) 意为“参加……，参与……”
When did China first take part in the Olympic Games?
How many of you are going to take part? 你们有多少人准备参加？
【易混辨析】take part in, attend, join, join in
(1) take part in 指“参加”会议或各种活动，含有积极参与并发挥作用之意，其后不接宾语时要省略介词in, part 前有形容词修饰时，形容词前面要加a或an。
John took part in many school activities. 约翰参加了学校的许多活动。
He took an active part in designing new items. 他积极参与新产品的设计工作。
(2) attend 指“参加或出席”各种会议，只说明主语“参加”这一事实，并不强调主语所起的作用
Why didn’t you attend the wedding yesterday? 你昨天为什么没有参加婚礼？
(3) join 指“参加”某个团体或组织并成为其中一员，如参军、入团、入党等，含义相当于become a member of, join sb. 意思为“加入某人的行列”。
When did you join the army? 你是什么时候参军的？
Would you like to join us？你愿意和我们一起玩吗？
(4) join in 后接表示“活动”的词，也可以单独使用。
Please join us in the discussion. 请和我们一起讨论。
They came out for their morning exercises. I also joined in.
I never fancied Mary— so weak a girl —_______ the football match and did pretty well.
A. taking part in B. joining C. to join in D. to take part in
2. What do the five rings on the Olympic flag stand for?
stand for 代表；象征；表示
She explained that DIN stands for “do it now.”
她解释说DIN代表 do it now。
Uncle Sam stands for the U.S.. 山姆大叔象征美国。
Maybe you think his behavior is OK, but I won’t stand for it.
I won’t stand for this insolence.
—He carried a cell phone cheating in the exam. In the end I ignored it and didn’t punish him.
—I wouldn’t ______ that sort of manner, if I were you.
A. stand up B. put up C. stand for D. stand up for
3. Women are not only allowed, but play a very important role in gymnastics….
play a role / part in 意为“在……方面起作用”。
Though he is old, he still plays an active role (part) in the club.
The role (part) that China played in World War II was great.
Why don’t you play the role / part of queen in the play?
We all sang high praise for the important part he ___________ in this match.
A. played B. did C. had D. took
4. A special village is built for them to live in, a main reception building, several stadium for competitions, and a gymnasium as well.
She is a teacher and a singer as well. 她是教师，也是歌唱家。
She has knowledge and experience as well. 她既有知识，又有经验。
△as well as “除……以外还……”、“也……” 、“和……一样好”。
John plays football as well as, if not better than, David.
She’s clever as well as beautiful. 她不但漂亮，而且聪明。
He makes films as well as he acts.
= Her sisters are teachers. My sister is a teacher too/ as well.
=Her sisters as well as my sister are teachers.
= Not only her sisters but also my sister is a teacher.
—It is reported that the famous basketball star, Yao Ming, as well as his family ______ to visit our college next month.
— I heard the news________.
A. are; also B. is; either C. is; as well D. are; as well
5. He threw the golden apples one after another. 他一个接一个地扔金苹果。
△one after another陆续地；一个接一个地
After the bell rang, the students went out of classroom one after another.
One after another, all three of them fell asleep.
one after another = one after the other = one by one 一个接一个；相继
No need to push. Let’s get on the train ________.
A. each other B. one after another C. one by another D. one after other
find out about 弄清有关……的情况
every four years 每四年，每隔三年
two sets of 两套，两组
reach the standard 达到……水平、标准
be admitted as 作为……被接受
That’s why …. 这就是……的原因
play an important role/part in 在……方面扮演重要角色（起重要作用）
make a bargain with sb. 与某人达成协议
run against… 和……赛跑
hear of 听说
ask sb. for help 向……寻求帮助
pick up 捡起；拾起
1. I lived in what you call “Ancient Greece” and I used to write about the Olympic Games a long time ago. 我住在被你们称作古希腊的地方，并且我过去常常写有关很久以前的奥林匹克运动会的文章。
△used to do sth. 意为“过去常常做某事”.
I used to play basketball a lot in my spare time, but now I am interested in football.
I used to get up late but now I’m used to getting up early and having a walk.
I didn’t use to / usedn’t to like him much when we were at school.
【归纳】used to do sth. 表“过去常常做某事”，暗示现在已经不再如此了，一般被看作是情态动词，后接动词原形，否定形式常用usedn’t 或didn’t use to do sth 两种形式。
【易混辨析】used to do sth, be / get used to doing sth 和be used to do sth
(1) used to do sth. 意为“过去常常做某事”，to后接动词原形。
Life isn’t so easy here as it used to be. 这儿的生活不像过去那样容易了。
（2）be / get used to doing sth. 意为“习惯于做某事”，其中to 是介词，后跟名词、代词或动名词作宾语：
He has been used to getting up early since his childhood. 他从小就习惯于早起。
(3) be used to do sth. 意为“被用来做某事”，是被动语态结构，to 是动词不定式，后跟动词原形。
The pipes are used to carry waste water. 这些管子是用来运送废水的。
When I was at school, I _____ up very late, reading storybooks.
A. used to stay B. was used to stay
C. used to staying D. is used to staying
2. How often do you hold your Games? 你们的运动会多久举行一次？
△How often 用于问某事发生的频率。常用的答语有：every two days, once a week, at times等。
How often do you go swimming? 你多久去游一次泳?
---How soon will my dress be ready? —In a week. 我的连衣裙要多久才准备好？—一周。
—How long did you stay there? —Only two days. —你在那呆了多久？—只有两天。
3. No other country could join in，nor could slaves or women.
△neither / nor + 助动词/ 情态动词/系动词 + 主语，为倒装句型，意为“（另一个人或物）也不”。
He doesn’t want to go there, nor do I ( = neither do I ) 他不想去那里，我也不想去。
I never saw him again, nor did I hear from him.
△“so + 助动词/情态动词/系动词+主语”结构表达肯定意义，意为“（另一人或事物）也”。
If you go to attend the meeting, so will I. 如果你去参加会议，我也去。
△“so + 主语+助动词/情态动词/系动词”表示对之前对方所说情况的赞同或证实，意为“确实，的确如此”。
It was cold yesterday. So it was. 昨天天气冷。的确冷。
— You forgot your purse when you went out.
— Good heavens, _____.
A. so did I B. so I did C. I did so D. I so did
4. There’s as much a competition among countries to host the Olympics as to win Olympic medals. 国与国之间争取奥运会承办权的竞争就跟争夺奥运奖牌一样的激烈。
△as much a/ an +单数名词+as…结构为同级比较，意为“同……一样；既……又……”，表示程度。
She is as much a teacher as she is a friend. 她既是一位老师，又是一个朋友。
as much… as 结构为同级比较，既可以表示数量上的相同，也可以表示程度上的一致。其结构通常为：
as much+不可数名词+as… (表示数量)
as much a/ an +单数名词+as…(表示程度)