1) The report deals with the most important____ of 2007.
2) Ten children were hurt in the car____.
3) After they had been punished, nobody mentioned the ____ again.
4) He isn't prepared to discuss his financial ______ with press.
3. swallow vt.
I swallowed the pills with a cup of water.
The waves swallowed up his little boat yesterday.
3) 耗尽,用尽 (+up)
The increase in food costs swallowed up our pay increase.
The girl is naive and would swallow anything you tell her.
The man swallowed the insults and kept on working.
I swallowed her displeasure and smiled.
I had to swallow my words for this reason.
拓展：swallow vi. 吞下;咽下
She couldn't swallow because of a sore throat.
n. 1) 吞, 咽
I took the medicine at one swallow.
2) 一次吞咽之物 (+of)
The girl took a long swallow of wine.
One swallow does not make a summer.
(1) Before leaving the hotel, he took a swallow ___ beer.
(2) Buying the house swallowed ___ our savings.