Period: The Third Period
Properties: Tape-recorder, Overhead projector
1. Knowledge aim
Students will get more information about Bill Gates, also they should grasp the dialogue.
2. Ability aim
Make up a dialogue with your partner according to the dialogue in the textbook.
1. Object clause
I’m sure that… I’m not sure that…
a, an, the
3. Useful expressions
1) plan to do sth.
2) be pleased with sb. / that clause.
3) millions of, thousands of, hundreds of
4) decide to do sth.
5) give away
6) It’s adj.for sb. to do sth.
a) Organizing the class
Greetings and a duty report.
1. To dictate new words learnt.
2. To say something about Bill Gates.
T: We all love our parents. We have special days for them, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Do you know when these days are? Have you spent these special days with your parents? What did you do for them?
T: Let’s see what Kate and Jim’s plan is for Father’s Day.
d) Read and practice
Play the tape for the students to listen and read after it, then get students to read in pairs and act it out in front of the class. They may add the role of the mother to make some suggestions about the present.)
Before the acting, explain some expressions.
1. plan to do sth.
I plan to learn to drive during the holiday.
2. be pleased means be happy
The teacher is pleased with what the students have done.
e) Read and complete
Students read the passage and fill in the blanks with the proper articles. the answers: a, a, The, a, the, a, a, The)
Explain some words and phrases.
1. millions of, thousands of, hundreds of
There are thousands of people in the square.
Millions of people die of disease every year.
2. decide to do sth.
They decided to get up early to catch the first train.
3. give away sth. means “to give sth. to other people”
He gives away a great sum of money to help the poor.
4. “TB” the abbreviation of word “tuberculosis”
Students read the article again and make sure they understand everything.
f) Listening practice
Students listen to the tape and fill in the blanks on Page 111.
1. Tell the story of Bill Gates to your friends or parents. #p#分页标题#e#
2. Do exercises on Page 111.
Fill in the blanks with proper article if necessary.
1. There were two world wars in ___ twentieth century.
2. There are ___ thousand people in the building.
3. Mrs Brown is ___ twenty-five years old.
4. There are ___ twenty-nine students in my class.
5. Please look at ___ sixth picture. What can you see?
6. She is leaving on ___ third of March.
1. the 2. a 3. / 4. / 5. the 6. the