16. The thread of my kite broke and it flew away. I had told you it would easily break ________it was the weakest.
A. when B. where C. unless D. since
17. The crowd started cheering ______ he rose to speak.
A. as B. since C. till D. where
18. I had worked here ______ you came here. But I shall leave for England ______.
A. before long， before long B. before long; long before C. long before， before long D. long before; long before
19. Scientists say it may be five or ten years _____ it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
A. since B. before C. after D. when
20. ___ the Internet is bringing the distance between people， it may also be breaking some homes or will cause other family problems.
A. When B. If C. As D. While
21. Though he is in his sixties， ______ he works as hard as a young man
A. yet B. but C. and D. and yet
22. The two girls look ____ much alike ____ no one can tell them apart.
A. so， that B. so， and C. as， that D. such， that
23. John shut everybody out of the kitchen _________ he could prepare his grand surprise for the party.
A. which B. when C. so that D. as if
24. Beijing is larger than ____ city in Africa
A. any B. other C. each D. any other
25. We must hurry up ________ catch the last train.
A. that B. so that to C. in order that D. in order to
26. No matter________ hard it may be，I will carry it out.
A. what B. whatever C. how D. however
27. ________ you may do，you must do it well.
A. Which B. Whenever C. Whatever D. When
28. Are you thinking about going to New York for the holiday?
No. But if I ________ the time，I would definitely go.
A. have B. had C. have had D. would have
29. ________ you are so weak，you’d better stay at home.
A. Since B. For C. Because D. Though
30. English and French are taught here. You can choose ________ you like.
A. no matter which B. whichever C. which D. whatever