Advice And Suggestions (劝告和建议)
● Idiomatic Sentences 功能套语
1. There seems to be something wrong with it . I can\t possibly wear it . 这好象有点毛病，我不能穿了。
2. I would like you to change this for a new one . 我很想让你把这个给我换个新的。
3. You sold me so old a bike that I can\t use it . I insist that you give me my money back . 你买给了我如此破旧的自行车，我就不能用。我要求你退我款。
4. It\s not our fault . I\m afraid I can\t do that . Why can\t you do something about it ? 这不是我的错，恐怕我作不了主，你能不能灵活点 ?
5. Could you give me some advice on English study ? 我想征求一下关于学习英语的建议。
6. I \d like your advice about / on this plan .
7. What do you think I should do ?
8. You\d better not trouble him . 你最好不要麻烦他。
9. Let\s help him with the luggage .
10. Why not ask him to go with us ?
11. How / What about seeing a film ? 去看电影怎么样 ?
12. I strongly advise you to keep your promise .
13. I\m afraid I can\t follow your advice .
14. That\s impossible , but thank you all the same . 这不可能，但还是要谢谢你的。
15. Why don\t you put off the meeting till next week ? 你为何不把会议推迟到下周 ?
● Model Dialogues 交际示范
A：Hello . You look tired today . What happened ?
B：I went to bed too late . I was reading a novel and forgot the time .
A：Really ? You need a rest tonight .
B：Yes , I think so .
A：You\d better go to bed earlier if you can .
B：Yes , you\re right .
A：I\ve lost my ruler . Have you seen it anywhere ?
B：Sorry , I haven\t . You\d better try your desk .
A：Yes , I did , but I didn\t find it .
B：Why don\t you ask Jim ? He was using a ruler just now .
A：Thanks . I\ll go and ask him .
1. It looks / seems as if … 看起来好象 ……
It looks as if it is going to rain . 看起来天要下雨。
测试要点：as if = as though 后 接虚拟语气。如：
He talks as if he had been there many times . 他谈话的样子好象是他已经去过那里好多次了。
When a pencil is partly in a glass of water , it looks as if it were broken . 当一支铅笔部分放入一杯水中，它看起来就像是断了似的。
2. I insist (that) …#p#分页标题#e#
I insist he ( should ) write a letter of thanks to the school . 我坚持认为他应该向学校写个感谢信。
He insisted that he didn\t steal the money . 他坚持说他没有偷那笔钱。
3. I should like / would like sb to do sth 很乐意让某人干……
I should like you go shopping this weekend . 我倒很想让你周末去买东西。
should like /love + to do 与简略回答。如：
- Would you like to go swimming this Sunday ?
- I\d like / love to .
(用 to 代替 go swimming )
should like / love sb to 很想让某人去干 ……
We\d like our teacher to point out and correct our mistakes in our exercises . 我们很想让老师指出并改正我们作业中的错误。
should like / love + to be + done 喜欢被……
Little Jim would like to be taken to Beijing next Christmas .
4. Why don\t you do … ? = Why not do … ? 为何不…… ?
Why don\t you (= Why not ) have a look at the other blouses ? 为何不挑选一下别的衬衫 ?
单元词组 take place 透射出的隐型被动
在第 38 课中的词组 take place (发生)属\"隐形被动\"范畴 ，不用被动语态的形式。中学英语教材中还有一些不用\"be/get + 过去分词\"的结构，其具体表现形式如下：
◆ 有些词(组)常用主动形式表达被动意义 (break out ，take place ，belong to ，shut off ，turn off ，work out制定 ，add up to , run out 用完 ，give out耗尽 ，等) 如：
The lights on the wall turned off .
The incident took place in Dec.1936 .
◆ 动词不定式作定语，一方面与所修饰的名词或代词有动宾关系， 另一方面又与句子的主 语有逻辑上的主谓关系时，不定式常用主动式代表被表式。如：
Do you have any letters to post ? (对比：Manager wang , I\ll go to the post office . Do you have any letters to be posted) ?
◆ 某些表示感觉、状态或特征的连系动词(look, sound, taste, smell, feel, become, appear, prove, turn out等)的主动形式常表被动意义。如：
- Do you like the material ?
- Yes , it ____ very soft . (NMET 94)
A. is feeling B. felt
C. feels D. is felt [ 答案：C ]
His theory proved correct .
Good medicine tastes bitter to the mouth .
◆ 有些动词由\"vt\"变成的\"vi\"时， 常用主动形式与方式状语连用表被动意义，这类动词的主语常是物，该类常用动词有：sell , lock , fill , dry , run , open , cut , read, wear , write , translate , wash , shut , blow , digest , begin 等。如： #p#分页标题#e#
The door blew open . The book sells well .
This cloth wears long . The story won\t translate well .
The food won\t digest . The suitcase won\t lock easily .
◆ 表\"需要\"的动词 (need , want , require , deserve , bear , demand) 后用动名词的主动形式，或不定式的被动式表被动;在 be worth 后只接动名词的主动形式表被动。如：
- What do you think of the book ?
- Oh , excellent. It\s worth _____ a second time . (MET89)
A. to read B. to the read
C. reading D. being read [答案：C]
Your coat demands (requires , needs , wants) washing . (washing = to be washed)
He certainly deserves sending (= to be sent) to prison .
This telephone directory is well worth buying .
Several new railways are under _____ (建议 ) in China . (NMET96) [ 答案：construction]
常考的此类介词短语有：on show=on exhibition , on sale , on fire , out of sight , in sight , under discussion , in the charge of , in the possession of , without help , without permission , under arrest , under repair , under consideration , under development 等。
◆ 有些以-able ，-ible 结尾的形容词 ( visible 可见的， invisible 无形的，breakable 的， drinkable 可饮用的 readable 可读的， acceptable 可接受的，respectable可尊敬的，countable 可数的，sensible可觉察的，等) 如：
The water in this well is drinkable(=fit to drink) . (19) Many things are invisible to us .
◆ 由过去分词转化而来的形容词 (pleased , interested , satisfied , frightened , worried, dressed , surprised , wounded , broken) 仍含有被动意义。如：
The girls are always dressed well .
The boy cried , with a glass broken .
◆ 使役动词 have/get+宾语+过去分词 ，表示该分词的动作由别人来完成。如：
-Good morning. Can I help you ?
-I\d like to have this package ____ , Madame . (MET89)
A. be weighed B. to be weighed
C. to weigh D. weighed [答案：D]
I\ll get my hair cut on Sunday .
◆ 有些名词以 -ee 结尾含被动意义 (以-er , -or 结尾却含主动意义) 。如：
trainee受训者(trainer训练员)，employe(e)雇员(employor雇主)，addressee收件人 (addresser, addressor发件人) ，rejectee被弃者 (rejecter抛弃者) 等。
◆ 当不定式在作表语(或宾补)的形容词(heavy , light , interesting , pleasant , simple, comfortable, dangerous , strong , big , small , sweet , smooth , nice , fit , important , impossible , necessary , good , easy, hard , difficult 等) 后面作状语， 且不定式与句中主语 (或宾语)在逻辑上有动宾关系时，常用主动形式表被动含义。如： #p#分页标题#e#
The chair looks rather hard , but in fact, it is very comfortable to _____ . (MET88)
A. sit B. sit on
C. be sat D. be sat on [答案：B]
They found the article hard to understand .