①She worked in a shoe factory.
②Please don’t be so cruel to a ten-year-old child like that.
③Do you know the man over there?
④Poor Jack tottered toward a hospital nearby.
present, absent, a-开头的形容词和形容词短语作定语放在被修饰的词之后。可以理解成which /that / who +is(was) / are(were)引导的定语从句的省略。如：
⑤All the people present at the party were his supporters.
⑥I think he is the oldest man alive in the small town.
①Let’s find a restaurant to have lunch in.
句中黑体部分可改为：where/in which we can have lunch
②The repairs cost a lot, but it’s money well spent.
句中黑体部分可改为：that/which was well spent
【注】 -ing形式作定语时只能用一般式， 表示与谓语动词动作同时发生，不可使用其完成式。如：
③Suddenly, a tall man driving a golden carriage seized the girl and took her away, disappearing into the woods.
句中黑体部分可改为：who/that was driving a golden carriage
④The flowers smelling sweet in the botanic garden attract the visitors to the beauty of nature.
句中黑体部分可改为：that/which smell sweet in the botanic garden
①We are living in an age when/in which many things are done on computer.
②Many people who had seen the film were afraid to go to the forest when they remembered the scenes in which people were eaten by the tiger.
①David, our English teacher, appreciated your idea much.
句中黑体部分可改为：who was our English teacher
②He was sent to France, a European country.
句中黑体部分可改为：which was a European country
The manager, making it clear to us that he didn’t agree with us, left the meeting room.
句中黑体部分可改为： who made it clear to us that he didn’t agree with us
①John said he’d been working in the office for an hour, which was true.
句中黑体部分可改为：and it was true
②The famous basketball star, who tried to make a comeback, attracted a lot of attention.
句中黑体部分可改为：trying to make a comeback
As is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.
可改为：We have worked out the production plan and it is often the case.
①Thirsty, he went into a tea house. (thirsty 是形容词，可看成是分词短语being thirsty的省略，对主语he进行补充说明)
②She sat quietly in her seat.(quietly是副词，修饰动作sat)
③He came in, full of fear. (表伴随，相当于When he came in, he was full of fear.)
④Ripe, the fruit tastes better. (表时间，相当于When the fruit is ripe.)
⑤Right or wrong, I will stand on your side. (表让步，相当于Whether you are right or wrong.)
①Lost in the mountains for a week, the two students were finally saved by the local police. =句中黑体部分可补充为：After they were lost in the mountains for a week.
②It was unbelievable that the fans waited outside the gym for three hours just to have a look at the sports stars.
句中黑体部分可改为：in order that they could have a look at the sports stars
①The house could fall down soon if no one does some quick repair work. (表条件)
②Roses need special care so that they can live through winter. (表目的)
③Since /as the weather is so bad, we have to delay our journey.(表原因)
④He speaks English as though he were an Englishman. (表方式)
1. (2006年上海)I made so many changes in my composition that only I could read it. To _____ else, it was hard to make out.
A. none B. everyone C. someone D. anyone
2. (2006年北京)There have been several new events _____ to the program for the 2008 Olympic Games.
A. add B. to add C. adding D. added
3. (2006年广东)No matter how frequently _____, the works of Beethoven still attract people all over the world.
A. performing B. performed
C. to be performed D. being performed
4. (2006年陕西)He hurried to the booking office only __ that all the tickets had been sold out.
A. to tell B. to be told C. telling D. told
5. (2006年天津)The Beatle, ___ many of you are old enough to remember, came from Liverpool.
A. what B. that C. how D. as
6. (2006年江西)The hurricane damaged many houses and business buildings; _____, it caused 20 deaths.
A. or else B. therefore
C. after all D. besides
7. (2006年湖南)I had just stepped out the bathroom and was busily drying myself with a towel _____ I heard the steps.
A. while B. when C. since D. after
8. (2006年浙江)I was given three books on cooking, the first _____ I really enjoyed.
A. of that B. of which C. that D. which
9. (2006年上海)—It’s a top secret.
—Yes, I see. I will keep the secret _____ you and me.
A. with B. around C. among D. between
10. (2006年江苏)My most famous relative of all, _____ who really left his mark on America, was Red Sussel, my great-grand father.
A. one B. the one C. he D. someone
(Keys: 1. D 2. D 3. B 4. B 5. D 6. D 7. B 8. B 9. D 10. C