1. If I ____ where he lived， I ____ a note to him.
A. knew， would B. had known， would have sent
C. know， would send D. knew， would have sent
2. If they ____ earlier than expected， they ____ here now.
A. had started， would be B. started， might be
C. had started， would have been D. will start， might have been
3. I didn't know his telephone number. ____ it， I ____ then.
A. Had I known， would ring him up B. Should I know， would have rung him up
C. If I knew; would ring him up D. Had I known; would have rung him up
4. Mary is ill today. If she _____， she ____ absent from school.
A. were not ill， wouldn't be B. had been ill， wouldn't have been
C. had been ill， should have been D. hadn't been ill， could be
5. Were I to do it， I ________ it some other way.
A. will do B. would do C. would have done D. were to do
6. I ________ him the answer ________ possible， but I was so busy then.
A. could tell， if it had been B. must have told， were it
C. should have told， had it been D. should have told， should it be
7. Without your help， we________ so much.
A. won't achieve B. didn't achieve C. don't achieve D. wouldn't have achieved
8. You didn't take his advice. ________ his advice， you ________ such a mistake.
A. Had you taken， wouldn't have made B. If you had taken， would make
C. Were you lo take， shouldn't have made D. Have you taken， won't have made
9. We wish we ____ what you did when we were at high school.
A. did B. could have done C. have done D. should do
10. She wishes she ____ to the theatre last night.
A. went B. would go C. had gone D. were going
11. Tom is very short now. His mother wishes that he ________ be tall when he grows up.
A. could B. should C. would D. were able to
12. My sister advised me that I ________ accept the invitation.
A. could B. must C. should D. might
13. He asks that he ________ an opportunity to explain why he's refused to go there.
A. is given B. must give C. should give D. be given
14. Do you think of Wang Fang's suggestion that he ________ Mr. Li to the party?
A. will invite B. have invited C. is invited D. invite
15. I insisted that he ________ at once.
A. be gone B. go C. would go D. might go
16. Li Ming insisted that he ________ anything at all.
A. hadn't stolen B. shouldn't steal C. doesn't steal D. steal
17. It is quite natural that my coming late again ________ them very angry.
A. had made B. would make C. makes D. make
18. He acted as if he ________ everything in the world.
A. knew B. knows C. has known D. won't know
19. Read it aloud so that I ________ you clearly.
A. may hear B. will hear C. hear D. have heard
20. They got up early in order that they ________ they first train.
A. caught B. will catch C. might catch D. shall catch
21. I am sorry that he ________ in such poor health.
A. are B. shall be C. were D. should be
22. That is a good book. You ________ it yesterday.
A. could buy B. should buy C. should have bought D. bought
23. It is high time we ________ home.
A. will go B. would go C. have gone D. went
24. I'd rather that you ________ home.
A. went B. have gone C. will go D. had gone
25. If only I _________ to the lecture!
A. listen B. will listen C. am listening D. had listened
26. -- If he_____， he ______ that food.
---- Luckily he was sent to the hospital immediately.
A. was warned， would not take B. had been warned， would not have taken
C. would be warned， had not taken D. would have been warned， had not taken
27. I didn't see your sister at the meeting. If she _________， she would have met my brother.
A. has come B. did come C. came D. had come
28. Without electricity， human life ________ quite different today.
A. is B. will be C. would have been D. would be
29. He ________ you more help， even though he was very busy.
A. might have given B. might give C. may have given D. may give
30. If city noises _______ from increasing， people _______ shout to be heard even at the dinner table 20 years from now.
A. are not kept，will have to B. are not kept，have to
C. do not keep，will have to D. do not keep，have to
31. Mike's father， as well as his mother， insisted that he ________ home.
A. stayed B. could stay C. has stayed D. stay
32. Mr. Smith insisted that he ________ the work all.
A. had done B. have done C. did D. so
33. Jane would never have gone to the party ________ that Mary would come to see her.
A. has she known B. had she known C. if she know D. if she has known
34. If you had enough money， what ________?
A. will you buy B. would you buy C. would you have bought D. will you have bought
35. If you ________ that film late last night， you wouldn't be so sleepy.
A. didn't see B. haven't seen C. wouldn't have seen D. hadn't seen
36. Our monitor requested that ________.
A. all the class studied more carefully the problem
B. the problem was more carefully studied
C. with great care the problem could be studied
D. all the class study the problem more carefully
37. -- Would you have called her up had it been possible?
Yes, but I ________ busy doing my homework.
A. was B. were C. had been D. would be
38. His tired face suggested that he ________ really tired after the long walk.
A. had been B. was C. be D. should be
39. It is important that we ________.
A. shall close the window before we leave B. will close the window before we leave
C. must close the window before we leave D. close the window before we leave
40. I didn't know his telephone number， otherwise I ______ him.
A. had telephoned B. would telephone C. would have telephoned D. telephone
1~5 BADAB 6~10 CDABC 11~15 CCDDB 16~20 ADAAC 21~25 DCDAD 26~30 BDDAA
31~35 DABBD 36~40 DABDC