如：If time permits, we’ll go fishing together.
如：If you had come yesterday, you would have met that famous professor.
如：If I were you, I should(would ,could, might)tell him the truth.
If she had time, she would(could, might)help me.
如：If I had known your telephone number yesterday, I should (would, could, might)have
If you had taken my advice, you wouldn’t (couldn’t) have failed in the exam.
如：If it should rain, the crops would(could, might)be saved.
---What would happen if I put the paper on the fire?
---It would burn.
注：在表示与将来事实可能相反的条件从句中，were to + 动词原形比较正式，常用于书面语中。如：
If you were to go to Beijing, you would (could, might) have a chance to visit Tian An Men Square.
在“It is important (strange, natural, necessary) that…”这类句型中，that所引导的主语从句中的谓语动词常用 “(should)+动词原形”结构，表示某事是“重要”，“奇怪”，“自然”，“必要”等意义。
如：It is important that every Beijinger (should) be able to speak English.
It is necessary that he (should) be sent to hospital at once.
I wish I knew the answer to the question.
I wish it were spring in my hometown all the year around.
I wish (that) I hadn’t wasted so much time.
He wishes (wished) he hadn’t lost the chance.
I wish it would stop raining.
I wish you would be quiet.
在suggest（建议）, demand(要求), order(命令), propose(建议), insist（坚持要做）, command(命令), request(要求), desire(希望)等动词后的宾语从句中，谓语动词用 “(should)+动词原形”，表示建议，要求，命令等。如：
I suggest that we (should) start the meeting at once.
The graduate insisted that he (should) go to work in the south.
His silence suggested that he agreed with my decision.
He suggested that I (should) stick to my decision.
He insists that doing morning exercises does good to people’s health.
He insists that he (should) do morning exercises every day.
当主语为advice, suggestion, order, proposal等词时后接表语从句，表语从句中的谓语动词常用“(should)+动词原形”结构，表示某人建议、劝告、命令等的内容。
My advice is that you should practise speaking English as often as possible.
The order from the commander was that the troops should set off for the front immediately.
由as if 或as ，though引导的状语从句表示比较或方式时，从句中的谓语动词用虚拟语气。动词形式用动词的过去式(be→were)或had+过去分词。如：
The teacher treats the student as if he were her own child.
He speaks as if he had been to the United States.
在It is time (that) …; I’d rather (that)…句型中从句的谓语动词常用动词的过去式表示虚拟语气，意思是“该干某事了，时间已经有些晚了”“我宁愿/希望”。如：
It is time that we did something to stop pollution.
It is time that Father picked up Lily from the kindergarten.
I’d rather you told me the truth.
I’d rather I didn’t see you again.
在名词advice, suggestion, order, proposal等后接的同位语从句中，谓语动词用虚拟语气，其形式为 “(should)+动词原形”，说明“建议”，“劝告”，“命令”等的具体内容。
如：The order came that the work should be finished two days ahead of time.
Reluctantly she accepted their proposal that she should be operated on.
If you had followed my advice, you would be able to finish the work now.
If I were you, I would have gone to her birthday party.
If you hadn’t lent me some money, I couldn’t have bought the new house and most likely
I would be still living in the dangerous house now.
如：Had I seen the film, I would have discussed it with them last night.
Were I a bird, I could fly freely.
Should it rain next week the farmers would have a good harvest.
1. I enjoyed the movie very much. I wish I ______ the book from which it was made.
A. have read B. had read
C. should have read D. are reading
2. You are late. If you _____ a few minutes earlier, you _____ him.
A. come; would meet B. had come; would have met
C. come; will meet D. had come; would meet
3. The two students talked as if they _____ friends for years.
A. should be B. would be
C. have been D. had been
4. It is important that I _____ with Mr. Williams immediately.
A. speak B. spoke
C. will speak D. to speak
5. If the doctor had come earlier, the poor child would not _____.
A. have laid there for two hours
B. have been lied there for two hours
C. have lied there for two hours
D. have lain there for two hours
6. Let’s say you could go there again, how _____ feel?
A. will you B. should you
C. would you D. do you
7. I can’t stand him. He always talks as though he _____ everything.
A. knew B. knows
C. has known D. had known
8. _____ the fog, we should have reached our school.
A. Because of B. In spite of
C. In case of D. But for
9. If you had told me in advance, I _____ him at the airport.
A. would meet B. would had met
C. would have met D. would have meet
10. Mike can take his car apart and put it back together again. I certainly wish
he________ me how.
A. teaches B. will teach
C. has taught D. would teach
11. I would have told him the answer had it been possible, but I _____ so busy then.
A. had been B. were
C. was D. would be
12. He suggested that they _____ use a trick instead of fighting.
A. should B. would
C. could D. might
13. My father did not go to New York; the doctor suggested that he _____ there.
A. not went B. won’t go
C. not go D. not to go
14. Would you rather I _____ to buy a new bike?
A. decided B. will decide
C. have decided D. shall decide
15. You look so tired tonight. It is time you _____.
A. go to sleep B. fell asleep
C. go to bed D. went to bed
16. If she could sew, _____.
A. she make a dress B. she would have made a shirt
C. she will make a shirt D. she would had made a coat
17. _____ today, he would get there by Friday.
A. Would he leave B. Was he leaving
C. Were he to leave D. If he leaves
18. If I _____ you, I _____ more attention to English idioms and phrases.
A. was; shall pay B. am; will pay
C. would be; would pay D. were; would pay
19. The law requires that everyone _____ his car checked at least once a year.
A. has B. had C. have D. will have
20. It is strange that he _____ so.
A. would say B. would speak
C. should say D. will speak
21. Had I known her name, _____
A. or does she know mine? B. and where does she live?
C. she would be beautiful. D. I would have invited her to lunch.
22. He was very busy yesterday; otherwise, he _____ to the meeting.
A. would come B. came
C. would have come D. will come
23. The librarian insisted that John _____ no more books from the library before he
returned all the books he had borrowed.
A. will take B. took C. take D. takes
24. I do not have a job. I would find one but I _____ no time.
A. had B. didn’t have
C. had had D. have
25. Without heat and sunlight, plants on the earth _______ well.
A. would not grow B. will not grow
C. had not grown D. would not be grown
26. If only the alarm clock ________ then!
A. had rung B. ring
C. would ring D. rang
27. The order from the commander was that the troops ____for the front immediately.
A. set off B. had set off
C. would set off D. shall set off
28. Reluctantly she accepted their proposal that she _______ on.
A. should operate B. be operated
C. operate D. would operate
1-5 BBDAD 6-10 CADCD 11-15 CACAD 16-20 BCDCC
21-25 DCCDA 26-28 AAB