1. Jack wishes that he _____ business instead of history when he was in university.
A. studied B. had been studying
C. study D. had studied
2. The millions of calculation involved, had they been done by hand, _____ all practical value by the time they were finished.
A. had lost B. would lose
C. would have lost D. should have lost
3. It is essential that these application forms _____ back as early as possible.
A. must be sent B. are sen
C. will be sent D. be sent
4. It is important that the hotel receptionist _____ that guests are registered correctly.
A. has made sure B. must make sure
C. made sure D. make sure
5. It was essential that the application forms _____ back before the deadline.
A. must be sent B. be sent
C. would be sent D. were sent
6. It's necessary _____ the dictionary immediately.
A. that he will return B. that he return
C. that he returned D. that he has to return
7. It is important that enough money _____ to fund the project.
A. be collected B. was collected
C. must be collected D. can be collected
8. I don't think it advisable that Tom _____ to the job since he has no experience.
A. is assigned B. be assigned
C. will be assigned D. has been assigned
9. The suggestion that the mayor _____ the prizes was accepted by everyone.
A. would present B. present
C. ought to present D. presents
10. We are all for your proposal that the discussion _____.
A. be put off B. should put off
C. was put off D. is to put off
11. You _____ him so closely; you should have kept your distance.
A. shouldn't have been following B. mustn't follow
C. couldn't have been following D. shouldn't follow
12. The manager would rather his daughter _____ in the same office.
A. does not work B. had not worked
C. not to work D. did not work
13. Wouldn't you rather your child _____ to bed early?
A. go B. would go
C. went D. goes
14. I'd rather you _____ make any comment on the issue for the time being.
A. don't B. didn't
C. wouldn't D. shouldn't
15. Mike's uncle insists _____ in this hotel.
A. staying not B. that he would not stay
C. not to stay D. that he not stay
16. As Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, I have directed that all measures ____ for our defense.
A. had been taken B. be taken
C. would be taken D. to be taken
17. The manager of the hotel requests that their guests _____ after 11:00 p.m.
A. not to play loud music B. don't play loud music
C. shouldn't play loud music D. couldn't paly load music
18. We desire that the tour leader ____ us immediately of any change in plans.
A. inform B. informs
C. informed D. has informed
19. He suggested _____ to tomorrow's exhibition together.
A. us to go B. we shall go
C. we went D. we go
20. Sometimes I wish I _____ in a different time and a different place.
A. be living B. would live
C. were living D. would have lived
21. I wish I _____ longer this morning, but I had to get up and come to class.
A. could have slept B. might have slept
C. slept D. have slept
22. Jean doesn't want to work right away because she thinks that if she _____ a job she probably wouldn't be able to see her friends very often.
A. has to get B. had got
C. were to get D. could have got
23. If the whole operation ____ beforehand, a great deal of time and money would have been lost.
A. was not planned B. had not been planned
C. has not been planned D. were not planned
24. Had he worked harder, he _____ the exams.
A. must have got through B. would get through
C. would have got through D. could get through
25. _____ before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived B. Were they arriving
C. Would they arrive D. Were they to arrive
26. _____ right now, she would get there on Sunday.
A. Would she leave B. Were she to leave C. If she leaves D. If she had left
27. _____ for my illness I would have lent him a helping hand.
A. Not being B. Without being C. Had it not been D. Not having been
28. _____ for your laziness, you could have finished the assignment by now.
A. Had it not been B. Weren't it C. It were not D. Had not it been
29. If it _____ too much trouble, I'd love a cup of tea.
A. isn't B. weren't C. wasn't D. hadn't been
30. If I hadn't stood under the ladder to catch you when you fell, you _____ now.
A. wouldn't be smiling B. won't smile C. couldn't have smiled D. didn't smile
31. We didn't know his telephone number; otherwise we _____ him.
A. would have telephoned B. would telephone
C. must have telephoned D. had telephoned
32. He must have had an accident, or he _____ then.
A. would have been here B. should be here
C. had to be here D. would be here
33. Some women ____ a good salary in a job instead of staying home, but they decided not to work for the sake of the family.
A. must make B. should have made
C. would make D. could have made
34. We _____ to start our own business, but we never had enough money.
A. have hoped B. had hoped
C. would hope D. should hope
35. The mad man was put in the soft-padded cell lest he _____ himself.
A. injure B. injured
C. had injured D. would injure
36. "You are very selfish. It's high time you _______ that you are not the most important person in the world", Edgar said to his boss angrily.
A. realized B. realize
C. have realized D. should realize
37. It's already 5 o'clock now. Don't you think it's about time _____ ?
A. we are going home B. we went home
C. we go home D. we can go home
38. If only the committee _____ the regulations and put them into effect as soon as possible.
A. approve B. can approve
C. will approve D. would approve
39. Look at the terrible situation I am in! If only I _____ your advice.
A. follow B. would follow
C. had followed D. have followed
40. I'm sure he is up to the job ____ he would give his mind to it.
A. if only B. in case
C. until D. unless
41. You don't have to be in such a hurry. I would rather you _____ on business first.
A. would go B. will go
C. went D. have gone
42. Frankly speaking, I'd rather you _____ anything about it for the time being.
A. didn't do B. haven't done
C. don't do D. have done
43. It is politely requested by the hotel management that radios ______ after 11 o'clock at night.
A. were not played B. not be played
C. not to play D. did not play
44. It is recommended that the project _____ until all the preparations have been made.
A. is not started B. not be started
C. will not be started D. is not to be started
45. Many a delegate was in favor of his proposal that a special committee ________ to investigate the incident.
A. were set up B. was set up
C. be set up D. set up
46. Things might have been much worse if the mother ______ on her right to keep the baby.
A. has been insisting B. had insisted
C. would insist D. insisted
本句是wish 后接虚拟语气的用法。在wish 后面所接的宾语从句中，要用虚拟语气结构。
本句是条件句中与过去事实相反的虚拟语气结构的用法。由省略if 的从句(had they been done by hand)中的时态可知，C为正确答案。
本句涉及主语从句中的虚拟语气用法。在It is important/necessary/… that-clause 结构中，that 从句中谓语动词常用虚拟语气，其形式为：(should)+动词原形。这一结构是否用虚拟语气取决于主句It is important/… that 中的形容词（如本句中的important ）。
本句涉及复合宾语从句中的虚拟语气的使用。在以it 为形式宾语的复合宾语从句中也可以用虚拟语气，其形式为：(should) +动词原形。这一结构中的虚拟用法主要取决于作补语的形容词 advisable。
本句涉及同位语从句中的虚拟语气用法。英语中在表示命令、建议、劝告、愿望、要求等词后所接的同位语从句中，从句谓语动词常用虚拟语气，其形式为：(should) +动词原形。常用的这类词有suggestion, advise, order, recommendation, requirement, command, proposal等名词。
本句涉及----暗含虚拟句。“should/ought not+ have+ 过去分词”表示“本不应该做某事，但却做了”，含有某种责备的口气。“should/ought to+have+过去分词”表示“本应该做某事，却未做”。
例如：You should have returned the book last week. 你本来应该上周就该归还这本书。（但上周并未还）
本句涉及宾语从句中的虚拟语气的用法。在would rather,would sooner, would just as soon, might as well 和would prefer 等后面所跟的从句中，也可用虚拟语气，表示愿望，意为“宁愿”、“但愿”。其形式为：
① “would rather ( would sooner … ）＋主语＋谓语动词过去时”表示现在或将来的情况。
② “would rather ( would sooner … ）＋主语＋过去完成时”表示过去的情况。
本句涉及宾语从句中的虚拟语气的用法。英语中在would rather, would sooner, would just as soon, might as well 和would prefer 等后面所跟的从句中，也可用虚拟语气，表示愿望，意为“宁愿”、“但愿”。
本句涉及虚拟语气在宾语从句中的使用。动词insist 后接宾语从句，从句中的谓语为“should+动词原形（should 常省略）”。常这样用的词有：command, desire, demand, order, propose, recommend, request, require, suggest 等。
本句涉及if引导的虚拟条件句，表示与将来事实相反的假设。表示与将来事实相反的非真实条件句，从句中的谓语动词用“were to +动词原形或should +动词原形”，主句中的谓语动词用“should (第一人称), would (第二、三人称)+动词原形”。
本句涉及if条件状语从句中虚拟语气的用法，表示与过去事实相反的假设。与过去事实相反的非真实条件句中，从句中的谓语动词用“had+过去分词”，主句的谓语动词用“should 或 would +have+过去分词”。
本句涉及省略if 的虚拟条件句。在正式文体中，有时可把虚拟条件句中的连词if 省去，而将were, had, should 等助动词(不包括行为动词)提到主语前面，用倒装结构。如果句中没有were, had 或should 时，既不能省略if，也不能倒装。
本句涉及if引导的虚拟条件句，表示与将来事实相反的假设。表示与将来事实相反的非真实条件句，从句中的谓语动词用"were to +动词原形或should +动词原形"，主句中的谓语动词用“should （第一人称）, would （第二、三人称）+动词原形”。如从句中省去if ，主谓要用倒装结构。
本句涉及省略if的虚拟条件句。虚拟语气也常用于“If it were (had been) not for … ”句型中，意为“要不是… … ”。If it were not for… 表示与现在事实相反的假设。从本句的主句来判断，这是一句与过去事实相反的虚拟条件句，If it had not been for … 表示与过去事实相反的假设，与主句中的谓语动词相一致。在正式文体中，有时可把虚拟条件句中的连词if 省去，而将were, had, should 等助动词（不包括行为动词）提到主语前面，用倒装结构。如果句中没有were, had 或should 时，既不能省略if,也不能倒装。
本句涉及省略if 的虚拟条件句。虚拟语气也常用于“If it were (had been) not for … ”句型中，意为“要不是… … ”。If it had not been for … 表示与过去事实相反的假设，从本句的主句来判断，这是一与过去事实相反的虚拟条件句，与主句中的谓语动词相一致。在正式文体中，有时可把虚拟条件句中的连词if 省去，而将were, had, should 等助动词（不包括行为动词）提到主语前面，用倒装结构。如果句中没有were , had 或should 时，既不能省略if ，也不能倒装。
本句涉及if条件句中的虚拟语气，表示与现在事实相反的假设。在与现在事实相反的非真实条件句中，主句中的谓语动词用“should （第一人称）＋动词原形，would （第二、三人称）＋动词原形”，但在美国英语中，主句所有人称都用would。主句中也用“could 或might+动词原形”。
本句涉及含蓄虚拟条件句。有时假设的情况并不以条件从句表示出来，而是通过一个介词短语或其他方式表示。除了otherwise外，常用的其他词或短语有：without, but for, but that,or,but等。
本句涉及由but引导的暗含虚拟语气的用法。but 前面主句中的谓语动词用虚拟语气，but 后的并列句用陈述语气。其形式为：情态动词“should(ought to,could,might) + have done " ，表示该动作本来应该发生而实际并未发生，含有某种责怪的口气。
本句涉及一特殊句型的虚拟语气形式。动词be, intend, mean, plan, want, hope等的过去完成式加动词不定式或这些词的过去式加动词不定式的完成时也可视为虚拟语气结构，表示“过去想做而没有做的事”。
本句涉及连词lest 引导的虚拟语气的用法。连接词in case, lest, for fear that 可用来引导虚拟语气。其形式通常为:“… lest (in case, for fear that) +主语+should+动词原形”。lest, for fear that句中的should 可以省去，in case 句中的should 通常不省去，但是in case 句中可以不用虚拟语气，而用陈述语气。lest, for fear that 后面也可以接其他形式。
本句涉及一特殊句型中的虚拟语气。在“It is (high / about ) time (that)…”句型中要求用虚拟语气形式，从句中常用过去式，意为“该是… … 的时候了”。例如：
It is time (that) we had classes. 我们该上课了。
It is high time (that) the weather improved. 天气真该好起来了。
本句涉及“It is (high /about) time (that)...”句型中的虚拟语气形式。
本句涉及if only 引导的虚拟语气形式。在"if only"引导的感叹句中，要求用虚拟语气结构，表示愿望。其形式为：
1)表示与现在或未来事实相反的愿望：动词过去时或“would / could ＋动词原形”;
2)表示与过去事实相反的愿望：had + done 。
本句涉及if only 引导的虚拟语气形式。
本句是if only 引导虚拟语气的用法。until和unless通常不和would 连用；in case 通常与should 连用；"if only"引导的感叹句通常要求用虚拟语气，表示愿望。1)用过去时或“would/could +动词原形”表示与现在或未来事实相反的愿望。2)过去完成时表示与过去事实相反的愿望。但是only if 也可用于虚拟条件句中。
本句是would rather 后接虚拟语气的用法。在would rather, would sooner, would just as soon, might as well 和would prefer 等后面所跟的从句中，也可用虚拟语气，表示愿望，意为“宁愿”、“但愿”。其形式为：
1 ) " would rather (would sooner...)+主语+动词过去式"表示现在或将来的情况。
2 ) " would rather (would sooner...)+主语+动词过去完成式"表示过去的情况。例如：
I'd rather you had not given up the job then.
本句是would rather结构中的虚拟语气的用法。在would rather后面所接的从句中，如表示与现在事实相反的愿望，从句中谓语动词用过去时；如表示与过去事实相反的愿望，谓语动词用过去完成时。
本句涉及主语从句中的虚拟语气用法。在It is requested/demanded/… that-clause 结构中，that 从句中谓语动词常用虚拟语气，其形式为：(should)+动词原形。这一结构是否用虚拟语气取决于主句It is requested/… that 中的过去分词（如本句中的requested）。常用于这种结构的过去分词除requested 外还有desired, demanded, ordered, suggested, recommended, required等。
本句考的是if条件句中虚拟语气结构的用法。if引导的是虚拟条件句，因主句谓语动词是might have been，从句就要用had insisted，指对过去情况的虚拟。