Unit 3 A taste of English humour
Warming Up, Pre-reading, Reading
1. We should never be c________ with book knowledge.
2. Yao Ming’s skill at basketball a________many Americans.
3. There is now ________(令人信服的) evidence that smoking causes lung cancer.
4. His business proved to be a complete f________.
5. He has been engaged in research t________ his life.
6. He did the job under my d________.
7. My family ________(款待) him as an honored guest.
8. I lived in an area of ________(显著的) natural beauty.
9. I still remember her ________(特殊的) way of smiling.
10. After graduating from Peking University, he was ________ (幸运的) in having a good job.
2. 有手机的人们觉得无论走到哪里，和朋友们联系起来都很方便。(feel it convenient)
3. 他仍然清楚地记得地震发生时那可怕的一幕，似乎就在昨天发生似的。(as if)
4. 他把自己刚写完的小说读了一遍，对自己很满足。(be content with)
Learning about Language
1.His mother is very particular ________her clothes.
A. to B. with C. for D. about
2. To my great ________, he has passed the hard exams.
A. humour B. charm C. astonishment D. charge
3. The film is more________than any that I have ever seen.
A. interests B. interest C. interesting D. interested
4.The bus stopped _______passengers.
A.to pick B. to pick up C. to pick out D.picking up
5.Thanks to the earthquake, electricity and water were_______.
A. cut B. cut out C. cut up D. cut off
1.My watch goes wrong and it needs________
A. to repair B. repairing C. repairs D. repaired
2._________English is my job.
A.Teach B. Teacher C. Teaching D. Teaches
3.I am ________for you in the _______room.
A.wait ,wait B. waited, waited C. to wait ,to wait D. waiting, waiting
4._________made his teacher very angry.
A.He did not come B.His not coming C. Not his coming D.Not to come
5.He remembers _________to Beijing as a child.
A.take B.to take C. taken D.being taken
6.Can you imagine_______on the moon?
A. man live B. man lives C. man living D. man to live
7.The boy came in without_______.
A.seeing B.being seen C. seen D.to see
8.The boy ________at the door mind _______ about his parents.
A.standing , asking B. standing , asked
C.standing , being asked D. to.stand, to ask
9.He always studies hard, _______for the final exams.
A.prepare B.to prepare C. preparing D. prepared
10. ________her letter, he wrote again.
A.Not receive B.No receiving C.Not to receive D.Not having received
1.The pen (滑落) from his hand.
2.We should never (满足) ourselves with what we have got only.
3.She took (特别) care not to overcook the meat.
4.Many years later, he became a (无家可归) person.
5.He seems to eat every (一口) with great joy.
6.He wore large trousers, w shoes and a small round black hat.
7.F is the mother of success.
8.I have some d in helping you with your English.
9.She is an o scientist.
10.Chaplin himself d and wrote the movies he starred in.
1. —Can you tell us what is important to a businessman?
A. Collect B. Collected C. Having collected D. Collecting
2. —How could you ________ my sister so easily in the crowd?
—Because she stood out in her red dress.
A. pick up B. pick out C. take up D. take out
3. My aunt always loses her way when she is out by herself because she has no ________ of direction.
A. sense B. feeling C. touch D. scene
4. Good friends as we are, I still find her difficult to understand ________.
A. at times B. at a time C. at one time D. at the time
5. If he shouldn’t have been so ________ about his food, he would be healthier now.
A. special B. curious C. particular D. anxious
6. —Do you want anything else for your birthday?
—Nothing else. I’m very ________ with what you’ve bought me.
A. satisfying B. disappointed C. content D. honest
7. —How are the things in your village?
—Modern farming methods have been brought in and the villagers are ________ now than before.
A. well off B. better off C. badly off D. worse off
8. In order not to let the others hear what he said, he ________ the news to me.
A. shouted B. told C. whispered D. said
9. The country itself didn’t have enough gas because of the war, so the government decided to ________ its gas supplies to other countries.
A. hide away B. cut off C. insist on D. break up
10. Our teacher looked here and there on our playground ________ looking for something.
A. even though B. even if C. as if D. only if
bottom, cruel, fortunate, sense, content, pick up, homeless, badly off, mouthful, boil, chew, astonish
Struggling against a heavy snowstorm, a __1__ old man was wandering in the street. He was __2__, and the only way to live was begging. But now, it was very cold. All of the doors were not open.___3__ a worn-out basin and a hard stick , knocking on the __4__ of the basin, he shouted, “ Woo... Woo... I can eat stones.”
After a while, ___5__at the words, many people opened the doors and gathered around him. “You can eat stones?” they asked.
“Yeah. But I must___6__ them first. And I need a pot.”
To see whether he can really eat stones, they offered him what he asked for.
A few minutes later, the water was boiling.
“Eat it! Eat it! ...” they all shouted.
“Calm down, please. It still needs some seasonings (调料) and meat to make this ‘stone’ meal.”
It was __7__ for the old man that he again got what he required.
After about ten minutes, the old man picked up a large piece of meat from the pot and took a ___8___ of it. ___9___the meat, the man said, “Great! It is very delicious!”
Seeing this, the people around had a __10___ of being fooled.