1. The great hall was crowded with many people, _____ many children _____on their parents’ laps.
A. including; seated B. including; seating
C. included; sat D. included; sitting
2. It’s said that the Olympic Games _____ in Beijing in 2008 will cover more events than any other Olympics did.
A. holdingB. to be held C. heldD. to be holding
3. _____ for a long time, most of the crops in this area died from lacking water.
A. Being no rain B. There was no rain
C. To be no rain D. There being no rain
4. Yesterday a street-beggar bought a lottery ticket purposelessly,____him a millionaire overnight.
A. making B. makes C. to make D. made
5. In the face of the big fire in October in California, many people in the fire-stricken areas moved out _____.
A. to escape burning B. to escape being burned
C. escaping burnedD. escaping from burning
6. Taking this medicine, if _____, will of course do good to his health.
A. continuedB. to continue C. continuesD. continuing
7. The little boy still needs the _____ 20 dollars to do with some things _____.
A. remaining; remained to be settled B. remaining; remaining to be settled
C. remained; remained to settle D. remained; remaining to settle
8. _____ his age, the little boy read quite well.
A. Considering B. Considered C. Consider D. Having considered
9. _____ from the appearance, it is very peaceful; but in fact, a war will break out soon.
A. Judged B. Judging C. Having judgedD. To judge
10. — Tom enjoys _____ basketball on Sunday afternoons, doesn’t he?
— Yes, he does. But what his sister enjoys _____.
A. to play; dancing B. playing; to dance
C. to play; to dance D. playing; is to dance
11. His letter, _____ to the wrong number, reached me late.
A. having been addressed B. to have addressed
C. to have been addressed D. being addressed
12. The Space Shuttle Columbia broke into pieces over Texas as it returned to the earth on February 1, 2003, ____ all seven astronauts aboard.
A. having killedB. killing C. being killedD. killed
13. There are lots of places of interest _____ in our city.
A. needs repairing B. needing repaired
C. needed repairingD. needing to be repaired
14. — What caused the party to be put off?
— _____ the invitations.
A. Tom delayed sendingB. Tom’s delaying sending
C. Tom delaying to send D. Tom delayed to send
15. I was afraid _____ to my customers because I was afraid _____ them.
A. of talking back; to lose B. of talking back; of losing
C. to talk back; to lose D. to talk back; of losing
16. Standing on the top of the hill, I would not do anything but _____ the flowing of the smog around me.
A. enjoy B. enjoying C. enjoyed D. to enjoy
17. — Is Tom a good talker?
— No, he never speaks to me other than _____ something?
A. ask for B. to ask for C. asked for D. asking for
18. I can’t get my car _____ on cold mornings, so I have to try _____ the radiator with some hot water.
A. run; to fill B. running; filling
C. running; to fill D. ran; filling
19. The drunken husband knocked against the table and sent the bowls _____ in all directions before he was sent _____ by his wife.
A. flying; to sleep B. flying; sleeping
C. to fly; to sleeping D. to fly; to sleep
20. When we got back from the cinema, we found the lamp____but the door___.
A. being on; shut B. burning; shutting
C. burning; shut D. on; shutting
21. We found the students seated at tables and had their eyes _____ on the scene of the launch of Shenzhou V spaceship.
A. fixed B. fix C. fixing D. to fix
22. A doctor can expect _____ at any hour of the day or night.
A. callingB. to call C. being calledD. to be called
23. The boy often gives a satisfactory answer to the teacher’s question, _____ just a minute. So he’s usually the teacher’s pet.
A. thoughtB. having thought C. and to think D. thinking
24. The policeman came up to the lonely house with the door ____, ____ there for a while and then entered it.
A. open; to standB. opening; stood C. open; stoodD.opened; standing
25. _____ along the quiet road at forty miles an hour, and then an old man suddenly started to cross the road in front of me.
A. Driving B. I was driving C. Having driven D. When I was driving
26. Mr. Smith was much surprised to find the watch he had had _____ was nowhere to be seen.
A. repairingB. it repaired C. repairedD. to be repaired
27. What did the librarian _____ out of the library?
A. permit to take B. forbid to be taken
C. allow to take D. insist being taken
28. — Mum, why do you give me so much popcorn?
— _____ the boring time.
A. Kill B. Killing C. To kill D. Having killed
29. What Yang Liwei wanted to do when he got out of the spaceship was _____ the joy with all the Chinese.
A. shareB. shared C. having shared D. about to share
30. When she was alone at home, Mary needed a friend _____.
A. playing with B. having played with
C. with whom to play with D. with whom to play
31. _____ the big snake, the little girl stood under the tree _____ out of life.
A. Seeing; frightenedB. Seeing; frightening
C. Seen; frightenedD. To see; frightening
32. The competitor never dreamed of _____ for him to win the first prize in the 100-meter race.
A. there was a chance B. there being a chance
C. it being a chanceD. it was a chance
33. _____ everything to go wrong in advance, and you won’t feel quite so bad when it does.
A. Having expectedB. Expect C. To expectD. Expecting
34. — You _____ part in the party on time.
— Sorry, I was delayed by the accident.
A. are to takeB. have supposed to take
C. were to have takenD. supposed to take
35. — Do you feel like _____ out? — No. I’d rather we _____ a taxi.
A. to drive; take B. to drive; took C. driving; takeD. driving; took
36. _____ in her best suit, the girl tried to make herself _____ at the party.
A. Dressed; noticed B. Dressing; noticing
C. Dressed; noticingD. Dressing; noticed
37. The matter _____ your study surely requires _____ carefully.
A. relating to; dealing with B. related to; dealt with
C. related to; being dealt with D. relating to; having dealt with
38. _____ made her parents worried a lot.
A. Her not to come back B. Not her to come back
C. Her not coming back D. Not her coming back
39. Everything _____ into consideration, they believed themselves more and returned to their positions.
A. to take B. taken C. to be taken D. taking
40. He moved away from his parents and missed them _____ enjoy the exciting life in New York.
A. much so as toB. very much to C. too much toD. enough
41. — What do you think of the plan?
— It’s easier said than _____.
A. carried outB. carrying out C. carry out D. to carry out
42. Many businessmen attended the Boao Forum (博鳌论坛)because they knew what _____ from the forum.
A. to get B. to be got C. got D. getting
43. There was a famous person at the party whom everyone would like _____ to themselves.
A. to introduce B. to be introduced C. introducing D. being introduced
44. — Were you at home last Sunday?
— Yeah! I devoted the whole day to _____ the English grammar.
A. reviewB. reviewing C. be reviewedD. being reviewed
45. Once _____ at the shop, you will be dismissed immediately.
A. caught stealing B. caught to steal
C. catching stealing D. to catch to steal
46. Prices of daily goods____through a computer can be lower than store prices.
A. are boughtB. bought C. been boughtD. buying
47. _____, John returned to school from his hometown.
A. The summer vacation being over B. The summer vacation is over
C. Because the summer vacation overD. After the summer vacation being over
48. _____ she can’t come, who will do the work?
A. SupposedB. Supposing C. Having supposed D. Being supposed
49. _____ nice and delicious, the fried chicken was soon sold out.
A. Tasted B. Being tasted C. Tasting D. To taste
50. After the guests left, she spent as much time as she could _____ the rooms.
A. tidy upB. to clear away C. clear away D. tidying up