the attributive clauses 定语从句
I.Sentences translation (English into Chinese)
1.But the one million people of the city, who thought little of these events, were asleep as usual that night. (Line 8)
2.It was felt in Beijing, which is more than two hundred kilometers away. (Line 11)
3.A huge crack that was eight kilometers long and thirty meters wide cut across houses, roads and canals. (Line 13)
4.The number of people who were killed or injured reached more than 400,000. (Line 16)
5.Then, later that afternoon, another big quake which was almost as strong as the first one shook Tangshan. (Line 24)
6.The army organized teams to dig out those who were trapped and to bury the dead. (Line 32)
7.Workers built shelters for survivors whose homes had been destroyed. (Line 35)
8.The powerful earthquake of Tangshan happened in the city of Tangshan, Hebei Province on July 28th, 1976, which caused more than 240,000 deaths and the whole city was destroyed. (Best English P35)
9.However, they can warn people who live in these areas by prediction, in advance to take precautions against such disasters. (Best English P35)
II.Summary of the rules of the attributive clauses
who /whom主语/宾语(可省)指人He who laughs last laughs best.
This is the boy (whom /who) you saw yesterday.
which主语/宾语(可省)指物/事A thing which was bitter to endure may be sweet to remember.
that主语/宾语(可省)指物/事The panda that is chosen Dragon Warrior is big and fat.
指人They that know nothing fear nothing.
whose定语(某…的)指人Workers built shelters for survivors whose homes had been destroyed.
指物/事The book whose cover is blue is mine.
when时间状语时间I’ll never forget the day when the earthquake happened.
where地点状语地点This is the place where we first met.
why原因状语原因The reason why he was late was that he missed the bus.
1)不定代词all, everything, anything, nothing, something, much, little, few, none, the one等时
e.g. You can take any seat that is free.
We should do all that is useful to the people.
2)被the only, the very, the same, the last等修饰时;
e.g. It is the only thing that we can do.
3)是或被序数词the first /second /third…所修饰时;
e.g. This is the first place that I want to visit.
e.g. This is the most interesting book that I have ever read.
e.g. We talked about the things and persons that we were interested in.
6)主句以there be 开头时
e.g. There is the matter that I can do.
e.g. That which is evil is soon learnt. 学坏容易。
4.whose = the +名词+ of + which/whom 指“某人/物的”
when = at /in /on 等介词+which
where =at /in /on /from /to等介词+which
why =介词for + which
1. He who laughs last laughs best. 谁笑在最后，谁笑得最好。
2. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
3. When in Rome do as the Romans do.(入乡随俗)
4. He who does not reach the Great Wall is not a true man. 不到长城非好汉。
5. He who has a lazy hand has an empty mouth.手懒饿肚皮。
6. He that loses his honesty has nothing失去诚实就失去了一切
7. God helps those who help themselves.自助者天助。
8. He who does not advance loses ground. (=anyone who does not advance loses ground.)
9. He who laughs on Friday will weep on Sunday. 乐极必生悲。
10. They who cannot do as they would must do as they can. 事不由己，也需努力。
IV.Translation (Chinese into English)
1. Do you know the girl _____ is talking with your mother?
A. who B. which C. whose D. /
2. This is the kite _______ Billy Fisher gave to Tom
A. who B. which C. / D. Both B and C
3. He was the only one ______ was saved in the earthquake.
A. who B. that C. which D. A and B
4. This is the only present _____ I like.
A. who B. that C. which D. B and C
5. This is the most beautiful place ______ I have ever seen.
A. which B. who C. where D. /
6. All _______ I can do is to give him some money.
A. that B. which C. who D. what
7. Is there anything else _____ you need?
A. which B. that C. who D. what
8. The museum _____ we visited last week isn’t far from here.
A. where B. which C. what D. who
9. Where is the scientist _____ gave us the talk yesterday?
A. which B. who C. what D. /
10. Most of the people ____ lost their lives in the earthquake are Sichuan natives.
A. when B. who C. how D. which
11. Do you think most students prefer tests ____ have easy questions?
A. who B. where C. when D. that
12. My mum prefers music ____ quiet and gentle.
A. that are B. that is C. which has D. whose is
13. The boy ____ you saw just now is Tom’s brother.
A. which B. whose C. when D. /
14. The bike and its rider _____ had run over an old woman were helped up by the policeman.
A. whichB. thatC. itD. whom
15. She was becoming fat, ______ bothered her very much.
A. whichB. thatC. itD. of whom
16. The Amazon(亚马逊河), ______ lies in the Andes(安第斯山脉) is the world’s longest river.
A. its sourceB. which sourceC. whose sourceD. the source of it
17. The reason ______ I can’t come is _______ I have to work late.
A. for, whyB. why, becauseC. because, thatD. why, that
18. Who is that man _____ is telling the children a story?
A. whoB. whomC. thatD. whoever
19. She tells us that Lao Wang is a person _______ we can learn a lot.
A. whomB. thatC. from whomD. about whom
20. Is this the factory _____ you worked five years ago?
A. in whichB. in whereC. in thatD. that
1. Do you like the present _______ I bought you yesterday?
2. The storybook _______ was written by his uncle is quite interesting.
3. The boy _______ computer doesn’t work well needs your help.
4. This is the best movie _______ we have seen this year.
5. The doctor _______ we met in the street is from America.
6. The passengers and the suitcases _______ were in the waiting room had to wait for another plane.
7. Who is the girl _______ you want to make friends with?
8. This is the last lesson _______ Mr. Smith taught us.
9. I, _____ am your friend, will help you out.
10.The building ___________ wall is white is my uncle’s house.
11.The boy _______ John spoke with is my brother.
12.Will you please lend me the very picture _________ you bought yesterday?
13.The students ________ the teacher praised at the class meeting is our monitor.
14.The season _________ comes after spring is summer.
15.This is the first museum __________ we visited last Saturday.
16.The girl ________ leg was broken in the earthquake was taken to the hospital.
17.I found some photos of interesting places _________ were not far away from our city.
18.There is a boy downstairs _________ want to see you.
19.The river ________ banks are covered with trees is very long.
20.I’m going to meet Tom ______ they say is a good boy.
一、1-5 ADDBD 6-10 ABBBB 11-15 DBDBA 16-20 CDCCA
二、1. that / which / 不填2. that / which 3. whose 4. that / 不填 5. whom / who / that / 不填 6. that 7. that / 不填8. that / 不填 9. who10. whose11. who/ whom12. that /不填13. who /whom /that/不填14. that /which15. that 16. whose 17. that / which18. who / that19. whose20. who/ whom/ that