1. Only with this _________ can you solve the problem.
A. way B. means C. approach D. method
2. The painting was ______ it used to be because it was once watered by rain.
A. something like B. nothing like C. anything like D. nothing at all
3. One of the most important questions they had to consider was ____ of public health.
A. what B. this C. that D. which
4. He seems to ________Iane. He knows her well.
A. introduce to B. be introducing to
C. be introduced to D. have been introduced to
5. My uncle’s house in the downtown area is much smaller than ours, but it is twice________ expensive.
A. as B. so C. too D. very
6. Leonardo da Vinci ( 1452-1519 ) ________birds kept in cages in order to have the pleasure of setting them free.
A. is said to be buying B. is said to have bought
C. had said to buy D. has said to have bought
7. We are looking forward to _________ from you but just now at the gate I look forward only to _______ no mailman coming.
A. hearing; seeing B. hearing; see C. hear; seeing D. hear; see
8. ---- Did you enjoy yourself at the party?
---- Yes. I’ve never been to ______ one before.
A. a more excited B. the most excited C. a more exciting D. the most exciting
9. She brought with her three friends, none of ______ I had ever met before.
A. them B. who C. whom D. these
10. ______ time went on, Einstein’s theory ______right.
A. With; proved B. As ; proved to be
C. With; proved to be D. As ; proved to
11. I hate _______ when people talk with their mouths full.
A. it B. that C. these D. them
12. The boy is very brave. I _____ he ______ the tall tree.
A. dare say; dares to climb B. dare to say; dare climbing
C. dare saying; dares climb D. dare to say; dares climbed
13. ---- I’ll be away on a business trip. Would you mind looking after my car?
---- Not at all.________.
A. I’ve no time B. I’d rather not C. I’d like it D. I’d be happy to
14. The visiting professor ______ giving lectures to students _____ invited to meetings at times.
A. preferred; to being B. preferred to; rather than
C. preferred; than being D. preferred; than to being
15. My daddy is lovely and ________, but sometimes he is not ______ me.
A. energy; patient to B. energetic; patient to
C. energy; patience with D. energetic; patient with