必修4 Unit 2 Working the land
1. Which kind of farming makes green food? Chemical or Organic Farming?
2. Read the passage quickly first to find out the main idea of each paragraph.
3. Read the text again and answer the questions:
1). What is the disadvantage of using chemical fertilizers?
Chemical fertilizers kill both and bacteria and pests in the land, so they __ __ the land.
Leaving __ _for a long time is not good for crops and animals and humans. These chemicals in the food supply is dangerous to people’s health by __ __ in their bodies and __ __ cancer or other illnesses。
Fruit, vegetables and other food grown with chemical fertilizers grow so fast that it is not full of ___such as vitamins and , etc.
2). What is organic farming?
Organic farming means growing crops without ____ ____.
1) Crops such as peas or soybeans put important minerals back into the soil, making it ready for crops such as wheat or corn that need rich and fertile soil.
2) With these discoveries, some farmers and many customers are beginning to turn to organic farming.
3)They focus on keeping their soil rich and free of disease.
4)This also keeps the air , soil, water and crops free from chemicals.
It’s a great pity that…
This is good value because…
What is the advantage of…?
satisfy, supply, lead, would rather, struggle, whatever, confuse, work, rid, sunburn, prefer to, certain
There was an old goat that grew a lot of cabbages. He gathered in all his cabbages with the help of two rabbits. Then he gave each of them ten cabbages to express his thanks. But the goat got __1__ when he found that one of them was very happy while the other was not that happy. So the goat asked him , “You’re not __2__ with this?”
“No, no. Thank you very much for the cabbages. But if I have a choice I would ___3__ choose something else. ” said the rabbit.
“Ok, you can choose ___4__ you like from what I have.”
“I wonder if you can teach me to grow cabbages,” the rabbit said, “ I often can’t get enough food to eat. If I want to __5__ a good life , I must grow something of my own. So, I __6__ learn to work the land from you than just accept your cabbages.”
___7__ the land is not that easy. In spring, you must __8__ the land of grass; in summer, your skin will be __9__ working in the field and in autumn, you must ___10__ against bad weather to get in your crops. Did you really decide to do so ?” the goat asked.
“Yes. I’ve made up my mind.”
With the help of the goat, one year later, the rabbit got a lot of cabbages of his own。
A-D are all farmers in a local village.
A: Here we have a nice piece of land, and I think the best we could do is to grow rice._1___
B: ___2__ I think it would be wrong to grow rice. We should grow more sugar-cane in our area.
A: Yes, I have heard about that plant, but it’s far from sure that a sugar factory will be built here. As far as I can see , the best thing to do would be ___3__ .
D: Well, I don’t think any of you is right. We have to make a choice, __4___. We’d better use the land to raise pigs.
C: ___5__ Because a lot of wood has been destroyed over the past forty years.
A.Wouldn’t it be better to plant trees on the land?
B.We should give something back to nature.
C.Rice is an important product and we can make good money growing rice.
D.Well, I agree.
E.Well, I disagree.
F.and in my opinion we should raise pigs.
G.to plant that field with rice.
1. With the help of the experts, the company produced ____ cars in 2002 as the year before.
A. twice as many B. as many twice C. twice many as D. as twice much
2. Hit by a hammer, my foot became _____.
A. 3 times bigger than B. as big as 3 times
C. the normal size 3 times D. 3 times the normal size
3. Generous public funding of basic science would _____ considerable benefits for the country’s health, wealth and security.
A. result from B. lead to C. lie in D. settle down
4. Everybody in the village likes Jack because he is good at telling and ____ jokes.
A. turning up B. putting up C. making up D. building up
5. When his family was in hard times, the villagers supplied _____ vegetables and food.
A. to them B. for them C. them with D. them to
1. He found it very difficult to focus his attention in his text book.
2. The highway led to Kelamayi was built five years ago.
3. Now the young man regretted waste so much time when he was at school.
4. I regret to saying that you can’t see Mr. Wang now.
5. We have made comment on his new works.