Unit 5 Theme parks
1. — How much do you ________ for mending my bike?
— Only one dollar, sir.
A. pay B. charge C. offer D. apply
2. What about the two of us ________ to the newly opened theme park in our city this afternoon?
A. going B. to go C. go D. will go
3. Most members of the committee were in favour of the suggestion; only a ________ were against it.
A. majorityB. minorityC. quantityD. amount
4. In October, the price of the ________ to Mount Tai has risen by 50 yuan.
A. permissionB. admissionC. introductionD. instruction
5. — She is unhappy.
— So she is. She has got ________ in the quarrel between Jane and Susan.
A. involved B. involveC. involvingD. involvement
6. Not only the USA and Russia but also China ________ manned satellites to circle the earth.
A. has sent upB. has been sent upC. have sent upD. have been sent up
7. While seeing the film, what had happened on the battlefield ________ in the old man’s mind.
A. made a lifeB. made a livingC. come to lifeD. come to live
8. We all know that a good sleeping bag is a necessary part of every camper’s ________.
A. experimentB. entertainmentC. equipmentD. settlement
9. — Can you tell me why more and more people choose to shop in a supermarket?
— Because it offers a great ________ of goods.
A. variety B. mixture C. connection D. combination
10. — How could they forget the airline tickets?
— They were in ________.
A. a rush so anxious B. a such anxious rush
C. so an anxious rush D. such an anxious rush
11. He didn’t want to stay in this hotel because it didn’t ________ his expectations.
A. meet B. pleaseC. fillD. express
12. ________ an actual occurrence, the film Huo Yuanjia will be popular with many people.
A. Basing onB. Based onC. To base onD. Base on
13. Mr. John was __________ to give us a lecture.
A. more pleased than to come B. more pleased to come than
Space Mountain 28 in early July, 2005 after a two-year rehab (修复) to rebuild the track and improve show29. If you are travelling with little kids, you’ll want to visit Fantasyland first in the morning, 30 several popular kids’ rides in that area, 31 Dumbo and Peter Pan, have low capacities (容量) and build long 32 early in the day. 33, head west to Adventureland and New Orleans Square 34 the park opens, visiting the Indiana Jones Adventure and Splash Mountain, 35 coming back to the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.
16. A. limited B. located C. circled D. expanded
17. A. pleases B. organizes C. draws D. benefits
18. A. villages B. foreigners C. students D. locals
19. A. shortest B. busiest C. longest D. biggest
20. A. time B. week C. day D. year
21. A. leave B. plan C. arrive D. book
22. A. after B. untilC. past D. before
23. A. avoid B. build C. break D. combine
24. A. sells B. shows C. sends D. collects
25. A. reserve B. keep C. copy D. print
26. A. in advance B. in case C. in order D. in turn
27. A. ought B. must C. will D. may
28. A. opened B. reopened C. closed D. reduced
29. A. possibilities B. changes C. developments D. effects
30. A. when B. since C. as D. because of
31. A. unluckilyB. unexpectedly C. especially D. normally
32. A. rows B. waits C. places D. passages
33. A. If not B. In a word C. As a resultD. What’s more
34. A. whereB. thatC. howD. when
35. A. now B. and C. just D. then
Almost all theme park accidents can be prevented. Here, based on coverage of theme park safety, are some tips to help you and your family stay safe on your next visit.
If you are visiting with a child, take a moment to explain the ride to them, and tell them how they should behave. They are depending upon you to keep them safe. Set a good example for them by following the rules of the park, and make sure that they know you expect them to follow those rules, too.
Tell them to stay seated, to hold the grab bar or put their hands in the laps, and not to stick their knees and feet outside a ride vehicle. Make them look to you for the okay to get on or off a ride, too.
And never put a crying child on a ride. If your child starts to cry, let others pass you in line until your child is calmed. Or, gently exit the queue and find something more relaxing to do.
Young kids can’t keep an adult’s pace in a theme park. Let them take plenty of breaks.
“Kids get tired,” said TPI reader Matt Johnson, a father of four. “Tired kids make parents even more tired. And tired kids and parents may get hurt — physically and emotionally.” He advises that parents plan a mid-day break, perhaps a swim back at the hotel, to avoid mid-day heat and crowds. “You will see cranky families having a miserable time while you are refreshed and having a great evening.”
36. The second paragraph tells readers that ________.
A. children should be trained to be more independent
B. adults should tell children some safety rules firstly
C. adults should set a good example to behave well in a theme park
D. there is a danger to take young children to visit a theme park
37. Which of the following is NOT right for children who are taking the rides?
A. They cannot put their hands away from the grab bar.
B. They are forbidden to put their knees or feet out.
C. They should ask adults’ permission first to get on a ride.
D. Without adults’ okay sign, children shouldn’t get off a ride.
38. If your child begins to cry just when he is going to take a ride, you should ________.
A. tell him to be relaxed
B. make him share your interest
C. give up the present activity
D. encourage him to be brave
39. We may infer from Matt Johnson’s words that ________.
A. he doesn’t like to visit a theme park with his children
B. parents with many children may be tired of visiting a theme park
C. not all the families are relaxed or happy when they visit a theme park
D. visitors should arrange everything carefully before starting
HONG KONG — Hong Kong Disneyland is too crowded, a senior Chinese tourism official said today, hinting that another Disney Park is necessary to accommodate demand from China’s huge population.
The comments by Shao Qiwei, director of China’s State Administration of Tourism, came a day after Shanghai’s mayor Han Zheng said the city was preparing to build China’s second Disney theme park.
“China has a very large population. We now have 1.3 billion people. The market is very large. As far as I know, Hong Kong Disneyland is now very crowded,” said Shao, whose comments were broadcast on Hong Kong’s Cable TV.
The Hong Kong theme park, which opened in September, was widely criticized in January when it turned away hundreds of Lunar New Year holiday makers from mainland China because the park was full. Chaos(混乱) erupted when angry crowds tried to force their way into the park.
The embarrassing incident prompted a public apology from Hong Kong Disneyland Managing Director Bill Ernest and a dressing down from Hong Kong’s leader Donald Tsang. Authorities are carefully studying the issue of overcrowding in preparation for the possible building of the Disney park in Shanghai, Shao said.
The official Xinhua News Agency reported Tuesday that no agreement has been reached on the park in Shanghai, quoting senior vice president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Leslie Goodman. Hong Kong Disneyland is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Co. and the local government, which shouldered the bulk of the park’s construction fees.
40. Why is it necessary to build a Disney park in Shanghai?
A. Hong Kong Disneyland can’t meet the need of the large population.
B. Hong Kong Disneyland is too small and very crowded.
C. Hong Kong Disney Park was criticized by tourists.
D. Hong Kong Disneyland is far from the mainland.
41. Hundreds of visitors from Mainland China got angry because ________.
A. the services in the park were not as good as expected
B. they were not allowed to go into the park
C. the park was too crowded
D. chaos happened at the entrance to the park
42. The building of a Disney park in Shanghai ________.
A. has been agreed to by The Walt Disney Co.
B. is financed The Walt Disney Co.
C. will be in the charge of the Shanghai government
D. remains to be discussed with The Walt Disney Co.
The Hampton Inn Boone hotel is in the attractive Blue Ridge Mountains, just minutes from four ski areas. Our hotel is less than three miles from Appalachian State University, Boone Mall, and Boone Golf Club. Within those same three miles, you can eat at the historic Dan"l Boone Inn, Makoto"s Japanese Steakhouse and many others.
Hampton Inn is a value-priced hotel. Here you"ll find clean, fresh, comfortable rooms standard with a coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and wonderful in-room movie channel. Enjoy good local calls and no surcharge (附加费)for using a calling card. Guests also enjoy the following items: high speed internet access in every room, wireless internet access in the lobby (前厅) and public areas, coffee and tea in the lobby 24 hours a day, and USA Today(R) copies (available from Monday to Friday). Hampton also offers a 24-hour front desk, message and fax service. If you"re not 100% satisfied, we don"t expect you to pay. That"s our promise.
Directions & Transportation
From Hwy 221 S. - Follow 221 S. to Newland and make a left on to Hwy 105 at entrance to Grandfather Mountain. The hotel is 15 miles on the right. From Hwy 321N — Follow 321 N. into Boone. Turn left onto Hwy 105 at the Wendy"s. The hotel is one block down on the left. From Hwy 321S - Turn right onto Hwy 105. The hotel is one block on left.
Hotel Policies: Check-In: 3:00PM /Check-Out: 11:00AM
Pets: No Pets Allowed
43. Which of the following Hwys is closest to the Hampton Inn Boone hotel?
A. Hwy 221 S. B. Hwy 105 C. Hwy 321S D. Hwy 321N
44. If staying in the Hampton Inn Boone hotel, one CAN’T ________ conveniently.
A. go skiing B. play golf C. go shopping D. raise pets
45. The main purpose of writing this text is to ________.
A. introduce the advanced equipment in a hotel
B. share some information about a good hotel
C. attract more people’s attention to a hotel
D. announce a travelling plan
四 根据句意或汉语释义，写出空白处所缺单词的正确形式(共10 小题;每小题1分，学习10分)
1.Unlike traditional a parks，theme parks offer many more things for visitors to see and do.
2.The hotel offers its guests a v of services.
3.I won’t go to that restaurant again.They c me 10 yuan for a glass of beer.
4.Without teachers’ a ，the students cannot enter the language laboratory.
5.My father bought some (纪念品)on his travel to Da Lian.
6.My mother is learning (高级的)English course.
7.The nation wants peace; only a (少数人)want(s) the war to continue.
8. Young people usually lives in a world of f . They are not realistic.
9. Which ___________(牌子) of computer do you prefer?
10. Every child should take part in ____________ (运动的) sports to build up their body.
五 短文改错(共10 小题;每小题1分，学习10分)