1. Great changes _______ in the rural areas in the last two decades.
A. have taken place B. took place
C. have been taken place D. are happening
2. The monitor was a_______ the first prize for his good grades.
A. awarded B. prized C. rewarded D. praised
3. _______ we had with my friends at the festival!
A. What fun B. What a fun C. How fun D. How funny
4. I’ve told that Mr. Lee ________last year and he ________a woman lawyer.
A. married; was married to B. was married; married
C. married; was married with D. was married; married with
5. Why don’t you _______ your ideas _______ on paper?
A. set; offB. set; up C. set; outD. set; down
6. I wonder how he _______ that to the teacher.
A. dare to say B. dare sayingC. dares say D. dared say
7. —How did you find your visit to the museum, Jane?
A. Oh, wonderful indeed B. By taking a number 3 bus
C. I went there alone D. A classmate of mine showed me the way
8. The old picture reminds me _______ the happy days _______ we spent in the countryside.
A. of; when B. to; which C. of; which D. into; when
9. Maybe Mr. Green is really in ______debt, for he is losing ______weight quickly.
A. /; his B. /; / C. the; / D. a; /
10. Time is up. So please limit your speech _______five minutes or so.
A. to B. into C. within D. at
11. ----How did our team perform last night?
----They couldn’t play any _______. That was a terrible match.
A. good B. better C. badly D. worse
12. ----Have you solved the problem I asked you ________?
A. the other day B. another day C. some day D. every day
13. _______ that your wife and children are complaining about you. You really have spent too much time on your work. You should _______ your time well between your work and your family.
A. No wonder; balance B. No doubt; keep
C. No problem; make D. No way; fix
14. You boys really _______ on the seats that were reserved for the old and the pregnant when you took the bus here.
A. not ought to have sat B. ought to have not sat
C. ought not to have sat D. ought not to sit
My mother used to ask me what is the most important part of the body . Through the years I would 21 the correct answer. When I was younger, I thought 22 was very important to us as humans, so I said, “My ears, Mummy.” She said, “No. Many people are 23 . But you keep thinking about it and I will ask you again soon.”
Several years passed before she asked me again. Since making my first 24 , I had often thought over the question. So this time I told her, “Mummy, it must be our eyes.” She looked at me and said, “You are 25_ fast, but the answer is not correct because there are many people who are blind.”
_26 the years, mother asked me a couple more _27_ and always her response to my answers was, “No, but you are getting _28 every year, my child.” Then last year, my Grandpa 29. Everybody was heart broken. Everybody was crying. My mum looked at me when it was our 30 to say our final good-bye to Grandpa . She asked me, “Do you know the most important body part yet, my dear?”
I was 31 when she was asking me this now. I always thought this was a _32 between her and me. She saw the 33_ on my face and told me, “This question is very important. It shows that you have really lived your life.” I saw her eyes_34_ with tears. She said, “My dear, the most important body part is your 35_ .” I asked, “Is it because they hold up your head?” She replied, “No, it is 36 on them a crying friend or loved one can rest their head. I only hope that you have enough 37_ and friends that you will have a shoulder to cry 38_ when you need it.” Then and there I 39 the most important body part is not a selfish one. It is sympathetic(同情的)to the pain of _40_ .
21.A.notice B.believe in C.doubt D.guess at
22.A.love B.health C.sound D.sight
23.A.blind B.deaf C.invisible D.thoughtful
24.A.discovery B.decision C.attempt D.suggestion
25.A.learning B.thinking C.turning D.changing
26.A.Before B.Till C.Beyond D.Over
27.A.ways B.things C.questions D.times
28.A.stronger B.taller C.smarter D.older
29.A.left B.got ill C.died D. got wounded
30.A.duty B.turn C.pity D.chance
31.A.shocked B.satisfied C.interested D.excited
32.A.game B.test C.match D.secret
33.A.worry B.puzzlement C.regret D.pain
34.A.take up B.hold upC.make up D.well up
35.A.shoulders B.feet C.hands D.hair
36.A.how B.because C.why D.whether
37.A.respectB.favor C.love D.fun
38.A.by B.on C.above D.for
39.A.guessed B.supposed C.understood D.thought
40.A.others B.the deaf C.Grandpa D.the blind
In England, people often talk about the weather because they can experience four seasons in one day. In the morning the weather is warm just like in spring. An hour later black clouds come and then it rains hard. The weather gets a little cold. In the late afternoon the sky will be sunny, the sun will begin to shine, and it will be summer at this time of a day.
In England, people can also have summer in winter, or have winter in summer. So in winter they can swim sometimes, and in summer sometimes they should take warm clothes.
When you go to England, you will see that some English people usually take an umbrella or a raincoat with them in the sunny morning, but you should not laugh at them.
If you don"t take an umbrella or a raincoat, you will regret later in the day.
41. Why do people in England often talk about the weather?
A. Because they may have four seasons in one day
B. Because they often have very good weather
C. Because the weather is warm just like in spring
D. Because the sky is sunny all day
42. From the story we know that when _________come, there is a heavy rain.
A. sunshine and snow B. black clouds
C. summer and winter D. spring and autumn
43. "People can also have summer in winter." Means "it is sometimes too ______in winter."
A. warm B. cool C. cold D. rainy
44. In the sunny morning some English people usually take a raincoat or an umbrella with them because ________.
A. their friends ask them to do so B. it often rains in England
C. they are going to sell them D. they are their favourite things
45. The best title (标题)for this passage is ________.
A. Bad Seasons B. Summer or Winter
C. The Weather in England D. Strange English People
Save the Animals
Animals are natural resources(资源) that people have wasted all through our history.
Animals have been killed for their fur and feathers, for food, for sport, and simply because they were in the way. Thousands of kinds of animals have disappeared from the earth forever. Hundreds more are on the danger list today. About 170 kinds in the United States alone are considered in danger.
Why should people care? Because we need animals. And because once they are gone, there will never be any more.
Animals are more than just beautiful or interesting. They are more than just a source of food. Every animal has its place in the balance of nature. Destroying one kind of animal can create many problems.
For example, when farmers killed large numbers of hawks, the farmers’ stores of corn and grain were destroyed by rats and mice. Why? Because hawks eat rats and mice. With no hawks to keep down their numbers, the rats and mice multiplied(繁殖) quickly.
Luckily, some people are working to help save the animals. Some groups raise money to let people know about the problem. And they try to get the governments to pass laws protecting animals in danger.
Quite a few countries have passed laws. These laws forbid the killing of any animal or plant on the danger list. Slowly, the number of some animals in danger is growing.
46. Animals are important to us mainly because __________.
A . they give us a source of food
B. they are beautiful and lovely
C. they keep the balance of nature
D. they give us a lot of pleasure
47. What has happened to the animals on the earth?
A. About 170 kinds of animals have disappeared forever.
B. Thousands of kinds of animals are gone forever.
C. A few kinds of animals have died out.
D. All kinds of animals are in danger.
48. Why do people kill animals?
A. They kill animals for something they need.
B. They kill animals to raise some money.
C. Animals destroy their natural resources.
D. Animals create many problems.
49. Which of the following is NOT TRUE?
A. People care much about animals because they need them.
B. Killing all rats and mice may cause some new problems.
C. Once a certain kind of animal is gone forever, there will never be any more.
D. People must not kill any animal or plant.
50. What can we conclude from the fact that quite a few countries have passed laws protecting
animals in danger?
A. Animals in danger will be kept away from people.
B. Animals in danger will not be killed any more.
C. The number of some animals in danger will increase.
D. Every person will know the importance of protecting wild animals.
1. People or animals will s___________ if food is difficult to find.
2. It’s polite to a____________ to your teacher for being late for the class.
3. Don’t forget to r__________ me of the important meeting tomorrow.
4. Without the boss’s p____________, no one can enter the room with a lot of important documents.
5. The scientist was a____________ by the government for his outstanding contributions to the country.
6. Giving others a hand can help to g_______ others’ respect.
7. The young solider lost his life when rescuing the d_________ boy.
8. As we all know, theories must be c___________ with practice.
9. Jack pushed the thick and heavy door with all his s___________.
10. You can c__________ the dictionary or your teacher when you come across new words.
Dear Li Ming,
I have received your letter last week. Don’t worry about me.56.
I’m getting on well with my research works in the lab. But 57.
to my surprise you say you will give up learn English.58.
The reason is because you have not done well in it recently59.
and you have lost interesting. I’m afraid I can’t agree with60.
you. I know it is not easy to learn English, and English61.
is widely used in the world today and it will be important62.
tool in your future work. Beside, it is becoming more63.
and more important in our daily life. If you study hard, and64.
you will succeed. Do remember: Where there is a will there65.
is a way. I’m looking forward to hearing good news from you.