Unit2 Working the land
1. It is advised by health experts that windows should be opened now and then for air to _____, which makes the air in your room fresher.
A. go though B. get through C. circulate D. spread around
2. --What do you think of bacteria, _____good or bad?
--_____ to say, but one thing is certain: without bacteria, the world would be quite different from what it is.
A. Are they; hard B. Is it; hardly C. Is it; hard D. Are they; hardly
3. The widespread of super-hybrid rice around the world ______the lives of millions and millions of people suffering from hunger to a great level.
A. improved B. is improving C. has improved D. has been improving
4. Look! What has happened. I’d rather you ______ her about the bad news.
A. would not tell B. hadn’t told C. didn’t tell D. hasn’t told
5. Though the professor tried his best to explain the difficult question, the students still looked _____.
A. confusing B. being confused C. to confuse D. confused
6. You are given only half an hour to finish your speech on the subject, so you’d better not _____ it too far.
A. expand B. extend C. enlarge D. increase
7. Though famous all over the world, Yuan Longping, sunburnt, ______ with his simple life and ____ in plain clothes, is still busy with his experiment to improve his super-hybrid rice.
A. being satisfied; being dressed B. satisfying; dressing
C. satisfied; dressed D. to be satisfied; to be dressed
8. Organic food is produced from crops _____ chemicals, pests and so on. In one word, it is free from pollution of any kind.
A. that is free from B. free of C. free with D. which are free of
9. ---“Tom spends too much and I am going to rid him _____ his pocket money.” the father said angrily.
---“No, No, you can’t but you can _____ the amount.”
A. from; cut down B. of; reduce C. with; lessen D. for; decrease
10. Famous as he is, he still _____ a simple life, riding his motorcycle to do farm work and entertaining himself with his violin in his spare time. Which of the following is not OK?
16. It was reported that the plane I was to have taken crashed soon after it took off. _______ the traffic jam, I was
five minutes late for the plane.
A. As a result of B. Thanks to C. Because of D. on account of
17. The operation room in every hospital has to _______bacteria of any kind so that the patient being operated on doesn’t get infected.
A. keep free from B. make it free from
C. to be made free with D. be kept free from
18. In his summary of the causes that _______the Industrial Revolution in England in the 18th century, he said it was the accumulated capital that played the most important part.
A. resulted from B. led to C. happened D. took place
19. Just as exercise helps _______our bodies, reading helps _____ our mind, broadening our vision into the world
A. found; found B. to put up; to put up
C. to build up; to build up D. to set up; to set up
20. ---Would you like to ______the performance of newly developed energy-saving device?
---Sorry, but I am not in the position to ______.
A. make a comment on; comment B. have a comment with; comment on
C. build up comments on; comment on D. come up with a comment on; comment
21. ---I don’t know how to write the article assigned by our professor on international trade.
--You should have ______ your attention on the lecture that ______ how international situation affects exports and imports across the globe.
A. put; concentrate on B. paid; talked about
C. fixed; dealt on D. focused; focused on
22. People often make a mistake about my nationality. I was born of Chinese parents , _____, I look ______ but I was born and grew up in America, so I am an American.
A. however; Chinese B. therefore; Chinese
C. so; the Chinese D. therefore; a Chinese
23. It is really disturbing to me that my once best friend _______ to me recently. Worse still, I don’t know what I have done wrong.
A. avoids to talk B. escapes talking C. stops to talk D. avoids talking
24. Parents in China often choose universities or university majors for their will-be-university-student children ________ future occupation, expecting them to make a lot of money and live a happy life.
A. with the view of B. with the hope of C. with the account of D. with the opinion of
25. The young graduate ______ his vegetable farm so successfully that soon he became No 1 vegetable producer in the area.
A. made B. performed C. worked D. discovered
A little boy invited his mother to attend his school"s first teacher-parent meeting. To the little boy"s __1__, she said she would go. This __2__ be the first time that his classmates and teacher __3__ his mother and he felt __4__ of her appearance. Although she was a beautiful woman, there was a severe scar (疤痕) that __5__ nearly the entire right side of her face. The boy never wanted to __6__ why or how she got the scar.
At the meeting, the people were __7__ by the kindness and natural beauty of his mother __ 8__ the scar, but the little boy was still embarrassed (尴尬) and __9 __ himself from everyone. He did, however, get within __10__of a conversation between his mother and his teacher.
The teacher asked __11__, "How did you get the scar on your face?"
The mother replied, "__12__ my son was a baby, he was in a room that caught fire. Everyone was __13__ afraid to go in because the fire was __14__，so I went in. As I was running toward his bed, I saw a long piece of wood coming down and I placed myself over him trying to protect him. I was knocked __15__ but fortunately, a fireman came in and saved both of us." She __16__ the burned side of her face. "This scar will be __17__, but to this day, I have never __18__ what I did."
At this point, the little boy came out running toward his mother with tears in his eyes. He held her in his arms and felt a great __19__ of the sacrifice (牺牲) that his mother had made for him. He held her hand __20__ for the rest of the day.
1. A. enjoyment B. disappointment C. surprise D. excitement
2. A. would B. could C. should D. must
3. A. noticed B. greeted C. accepted D. met
4. A. sick B. ashamed C. afraid D. tired
5. A. included B. passed C. covered D. shaded
6. A. talk about B. think about C. care about D. hear about
7. A. impressed B. surprised C. excited D. comforted
8. A. in sight of B. by means of C. by way of D. in spite of
9. A. hid B. protected C. separated D. escaped
10. A. understanding B. reminding C. hearing D. learning
11. A. carefully B. seriously C. nervously D. anxiously
12. A. As B. When C. Since D. While
13. A. so B. much C. quite D. too
14. A. out of control B. under control C. in control D. over control
15. A. helpless B. hopeless C. senseless D. useless
16. A. pointed B. showed C. wiped D. touched
17. A. ugly B. lasting C. serious D. frightening
18. A. forgot B. recognized C. considered D. regretted
19. A. honor B. sense C. happiness D. pride
20. A. quietly B. slightly C. tightly D. suddenly
1-5BADBC 6-10AADAC 11-15ABDAC 16-20DBDBC
题号 答案 考查内容解题依据 解题分析
8 D 词义比较逻辑推理 虽然(in spite of)妈妈脸上有疤痕，但这疤痕却掩饰不住妈妈的美丽和亲切。in sight of临近, 可被...望见;by means of通过，用，借助于;by way of 经由, 作为, 为了;in spite of虽然，尽管…仍，相当于though she had the scar on her face。
9 A 逻辑推理词义比较 但小男孩仍然感到尴尬难堪，而把自己藏(hide)起来，以免被大家看见。hide隐藏，掩饰，强调不被他人看见、发现;protect保护，强调不被他人伤害;separate分开, 隔离，使之不聚在一起;escape逃避, 避免，强调不被他人逮住而免去责任。
10 C 词义比较逻辑推理常识运用 他真的躲避了起来，却听到(hear)了妈妈和老师之间的一段对话。注意within(在……的范围内, 不超出……的范围)的意义。hear是先决起始动作，先有了hear，而后才会有understand(明白，了解)、learn(获悉)和remind(提醒，使想起)。
11 A 常识运用逻辑推理词义比较 老师询问的是妈妈脸上的疤痕，就肯定是小心谨慎地(carefully)，而决不是、也用不着严肃认真地(seriously)，紧张不安(nervously)，忧虑不安地(anxiously)。
12 B 语句连贯词义比较 事情发生在小男孩还是婴儿的时候(when)。as当……时，通常指伴随着另一情况而发生;when当…的时候，指某一行为或情况发生之时，另一行为或情况也发生，通常是短暂行为;since自……以来，通常与现在完成时态连用;while当……的时候，通常指与另一情况的同时发生，表示持续行为。
13 D 句法结构 此题考查too…to do sth.的结构。
14 A 逻辑推理固定搭配 因为火控制不住(out of control)，所以大家就都不敢闯进去救人。out of control不受控制，失去了控制;under control被控制住;in control在控制之下;over不与control搭配。
15 C 词义比较逻辑推理 妈妈被坠落的木头撞得失去了知觉(senseless)。helpless无助的, 无能的, 没用的;hopeless没有希望的, 绝望的, 不可救药;senseless不省人事的, 无感觉的;useless无用的, 无效的, 无益的。
16 D 词义比较逻辑推理前后照应 妈妈她用不着指着(point)，擦揩(wipe)脸面，老师能够看得到，它也用不着展示(show)，而是摸了摸(touch)她烧坏的右脸，有所感触。注意与后句的联系。
17 B 词义比较逻辑推理 这个疤痕很丑(ugly)，很严重(serious)，很恐怖(frightening)，这都没有关系，问题是它会持久(lasting)而再也抹不去。
18 D 词义比较逻辑推理常识运用 可即便是这样，且直到今天，我忘不了(forget)，我也考虑(consider)了，我也认可(recognize)了，但我从来没有后悔(regret)过我所做的一切。
19 B 词义辨析逻辑推理 小男孩把妈妈楼在怀里，他感到了妈妈为他作出的牺牲的重大意义(sense)。honor尊敬，敬意，荣誉，光荣;sense意义，意味，意思;happiness幸福，快乐;pride自豪，骄傲。
20 C 词义比较逻辑推理 在这天余下的时间里，他不是突然地(suddenly)，静静地(quietly)，轻微地(slightly)，而是紧紧地(tightly)握着妈妈的手。
Red roses were her favorites, her names was also Rose. And every year her husband sent them, tied with pretty bows. The year he died, the roses were still 26 to her door.
Each year he sent her roses, and the 27 would always say, “I love you even more this year, than last year on this day.” My love for you will always 28 , with every passing year. “She knew this was the last time 29 the rose would appear. Her loving husband did not know that he would 30 . he always liked to do things early. Then, if he got too busy, 31 would work out fine.”
A year went by, and it was 32 to live without her mate. Then, the very hour, as on Valentines before, the doorbell rang, and there were roses, sitting by her door. She brought the roses 33 , calling the florist shop. The owner answered, and she asked him , if he would explain, why would someone do this to her, 34 her such pain?
“I know your husband passed away, more than a year ago,” The owner said, “I knew you’d 35 , and you would want to know. “ “ The flowers you received today, were 36 in advance.” “You husband always planned ahead, he left nothing to chance.”
She thanked him and 37 the phone, her tears now flowing hard. Her fingers shaking, as she slowly reached to 38 the card. Inside the card, she saw that he had written her a note. This is what he wrote: “Hello my love, I know it’s been a year 39 I’ve been gone, I hope it hasn’t been too hard for you to overcome.” “I know it must be lonely, and the pain is very 40 . for if it was the other way, I know how I would feel. The love we shared 41 everything so beautiful in life. I loved you more than words can say.”
“You were my friend and lover, I know it’s only been a year, 42 please try not to grieve. I want you to be happy, 43 when you shed your tears. That is why the roses will be sent to you for years.”
“When you get these 44 , think of all the 45 that we had together, and how both of us were blessed. I have always loved you and I know I always will. My love, you must go on, you have some living still.”
26. A. passed B. shown C. presented D. delivered
27. A. note B. message C. line D. information
28. A. disappear B. decrease C. grow D. keep
29. A. that B. / C. which D. what
30. A. pass by B. pass away C. pass down D. pass on
31. A. everything B. something C. nothing D. anything
32. A. happy B. meaningful C. hard D. impossible
33. A. in B. out C. along D. up
34. A. curing B. healing C. causing D. killing
35. A. ask B. wonder C. doubt D. telephone
36. A. purchased B. grown C. planted D. designed
37. A. picked up B. turned up C. held up D. hung up
38. A. buy B. get C. read D. write
39. A. when B. that C. before D. since
40. strong B. weak C. true D. real
41. A made B. bad C. let D. left
42. A. so B. but C. though D. still
43. A. even B. only C. merely D. just
44. A. roses B. belongings C. congratulations D. remarks
45. A. sadness B. disappointment C. happiness D. sufferings
I grew up in a small town. My father raised chickens and ran a construction company. I was barely 10 years old when my dad gave me the responsibility (责任) of feeding the chickens and cleaning up the stable. He believed it was important for me to have those jobs to learn responsibility. Then, when I was 22, I found a job in Natchbill at a country music club called the Natchbill Palace, I washed dishes and cooked from 4: 00 pm to 9: 00 pm and then went on stage and sang until 2:00 in the morning. It wasn’t long before I became known as a singing cook. I had been rejected so many times by record companies that it was hard not to be discouraged. One night, a woman executive (懂事) from a company named Warner Brothers Records came to hear me sing. When the show was over, we sat down and talked and after she left, I said to myself it was one more rejection. A few weeks later, my manager received a phone call — Warner Brothers wanted to sign me to a record deal. Soon after, I released my first record in June 1986. It sold over 2 million copies. My best efforts had gone into every job I’ve ever held. It was the sense of responsibility that made me feel like a man. Knowing that I had done my best filled me with pride. I still feel that way today, even though I have become a well-known singer.
46. Why was the writer once known as the singing cook?
A. Because he was a cook at a country-music club.
B. Because he sang for guests while he worked as a cook.
C. Because he often sang while cooking.
D. Because he liked singing better than cooking.
47. Who first recognized his talents and helped make his career successful?
A. Wamer Brothers. B. His manager.
C. His father.D. A businesswoman.
48. What made the writer proud of himself?
A. His ability to live independently.
B. His sense of responsibility in whatever he did.
C. His courage in the face of rejections.
D. His hard work in his early days.
Some people make you feel comfortable when they are around. You spend an hour with them and feel as if you have known them half your life. These people have something in common. And once we know what it is, we can try to do it ourselves.
How is it done? Here are several skills that good talkers have. If you follow the skills, they’ll help you put people at their ease, and make friends with them quickly.
First of all, good talkers ask questions. Almost anyone, no matter how shy he is, will answer a question. One well-known businesswoman says, “At business lunches, I always ask people what they did that morning. It’s a common question, but it will get things going.” From there you can move on to other matters—sometimes to really personal questions. And how he answers will let you know how far you can go.
Second, once good talkers have asked questions, they listen to the answers. This point seems clear, but it isn’t. Your questions should have a point and help to tell what sort of person you are talking to. And to find out, you really have to listen carefully and attentively.
Real listening at least means some things. First it means not to change the subject of conversation. If someone sticks to one topic, you can take it as a fact that he’s really interested in it. Real listening also means not just listening to words, but to tones of voice. If the voice sounds dull, then, it’s time for you to change the subject.
Finally, good talkers know well how to deal with the occasion of parting. If you’re saying good-bye, you may give him a firm handshake and say, “I’ve really enjoyed meeting you.” If you want to see that person again, don’t keep it a secret. Let people know what you feel, and they may walk away feeling as if they’ve known you half their life.
49. Asking questions might be a quite good and suitable way _______.
A. for you to make more and more new friends
B. to begin your business talks
C. to get the conversation going smoothly
D. for you to make a deep and lasting impression on others
50. After having asked somebody a question, it’ll be polite of you to _______.
A. make clear what kind of person he is
B. listen to his reply attentively
C. wait quietly and patiently for his answer
D. go on asking him more questions
51. Generally speaking, good talkers are persons who _______.
A. are good at making any topic interesting
B. never talk too much or too little
C. always speak in a gentle way
D. know how and when they should change the topic of the talk
52. If you really take delight in meeting someone again, _______.
A. you may take him as your lifelong trustworthy friend
B. it seems necessary for you to let him know it
C. it’s proper for you to give him a second handshake
D. it’ll be helpful for you to have further understanding of him
1. (饥饿) is the best sauce.
2. Her shoulders were badly (晒伤).
3. Another (超级) skyscraper is being built.
4. Manufacturing (产量) has increased by 8%.
5. The business has (扩展) a big one.
6. Farmers produce millions of tons of g to feed the nation.
7. Would you mind writing a s of the passage? About 200 words are OK.
8. At that time the British pound can e $2.80.