Unit 4 Astronomy：the science of the stars(1)
1. The government took immediate measures and the disease was p spreading.
2. Our solar s has 8 planets.
3. My new teacher is a very g person.
4. This area has a hot c .
5. As everybody knows, smoking is h to people’s health.
6. He was involved in the (暴力的) fight last night and was arrested by the police.
7. Some advertisements have no (吸引力) at all.
8. This kind of plant only (存在) in Africa.
9. The boss never shouts at his staff in the (在场) of others.
10. There is an (气氛) of peace and calm in the country, quite different from that of a big city.
lessen/dissolve/depend on/prevent ...(from ...)/lay
1. Nothing on earth can me loving her.
2. Salt easily in water.
3. The old man his two sons for food and clothing.
4. The cuckoo(杜鹃) its eggs in other birds’nest.
5. The pain already after taking the medicine.
5. 我们要相信形势会好转的。(depend on)
1. It was reported that a plane crash happened last night and most of the passengers were badly and some 10 died.
A. damaged B. injured
C. destroyed D. harmed
2. The boiler from excessive pressure of steam .
A. exploded B. burst C. explode D. erupt
3. He exists bread and water.
A. on B. in C. by D. with
4. The villagers were often in clashes with each other in those years before the agreement was reached.
A. interesting B. peaceful
C. violent D. spiritual
5. Freezing winter is harmful orange trees.
A. for B. to C. of D. at
6. She started as an office junior, and became the director of the whole company.
A. in surprise B. in return
C. in turn D. in time
7. We suggest that they provide an effective warning system to many of the disasters .
A. keep; happening
B. prevent; from happening
C. stop; from being happened
D. prevent; from being happened
8. Everything went well according the plan.
A. to B. with C. for D. as
9. She felt about her future.
A. puzzle B. puzzling C. puzzled D. puzzles
10. The boy lying under the tree lied to his friends that his cock eggs.
A. lied B. laid C. lay D. lain
1. prevented 2. system
3. gentle 4. climate
5. harmful 6. violent
7. pull 8. exists
1. prevent; from
3. depends/depended on
5. was; lessening
1. Now that you have already known the matter, I don’t want to talk about it any more.
2. Visitors are to leave the park at 4 p.m.
3. Smoking is harmful to health.
4. He was forced to give up his dream.
5. We should depend on it that the situation will be better.
1. 解析：选B。考查同义词的辨析。injure强调在意外事故中 “受伤”, 而damage主要指对物的损害;destroy指毁坏。
3. 解析：选A。考查短语搭配。exist on靠……活下去(靠……生存);exist in在……中存在(或生存); exist by在(某种思想、品质等)中找到生活的力量;exist with与……共存。由句意“他靠面包和水度日”可知，答案选A。
5. 解析：选B。考查固定短语。句意为：寒冬对橘子树有害。be harmful to ... 对……有害。
6. 解析：选D。考查短语辨析。in surprise 吃惊地;in return作为回报;in turn轮流，依次;in time终于，一段时间后。由句意“她起初只是一名办公室职员，最终成了整个公司的董事”可知，应选D。
7. 解析：选B。考查动词短语的用法。prevent ...from doing意为“阻止……做某事”，同义短语还有stop/keep ...from doing,其中prevent/stop ...from doing中的from可省略，而keep ...from doing中的from不能省略，排除A项;happen为不及物动词，不用被动语态，故选B。
8. 解析：选A。句意为：一切按计划进展得很顺利。according to根据,按照，是固定短语。
9. 解析：选C。句意为：她对她的将来感 到迷惘。puzzled(人)迷惑的、迷惘 的; puzzling(物)令人迷惑的。
10. 解析：选B。考查lie (lied,lied)说谎;lie (lay,lain)躺，平卧;和lay (laid,laid)放置;下蛋这几个词的区别。句意为：躺在树下的那个男孩向他的朋友撒谎说他的公鸡下蛋了。故选B。