1. ________ snacks and drinks, but they also brought cards for entertainment when they had a
picnic in the forest.
A. Not only they brought B. Not only did they bring
C. Not only brought they D. Not only they did bring
2. I failed in the final examination last term and only then ________ the importance of studies.
A. I realized B. I had realized C. had I realized D. did I realize
3. ---- I would never ever come to this restaurant again. The food is terrible! ----__________.
A. Nor am I B. Neither would I C. Same with me D. So do I
4. Maybe you have been to many countries , but nowhere else ________ such a beautiful palace .
A．can you find B．you could find C．you can find D．could you find
5. Of the making of good books there is no end; neither ___ any end to their influence man’s lives.
A. there is B. there are C. is there D. are there
6. Not until I began to work ____________ how much time I had wasted.
A. didn’t I realizeB. did I realizeC. I didn’t realizeD. I realized
7. Only by practising a few hours every day ___________ be able to master the language.
A. you canB. can youC. you willD. will you
8. Never in my wildest dreams __________these people are living in such poor conditions.
A. I could imagine B. could I imagine C. I couldn’t imagine D. couldn’t I imagine
9. ----Did Linda see the traffic accident?
----No, no sooner __________than it happened.
A. had she gone B. she had gone C. has she gone D. she has gone
10. I’ve tried very hard to improve my English. But by no means __________with my progress.
A. the teacher is not satisfied B. is the teacher not satisfied
C. the teacher is satisfied D. is the teacher satisfied
11. Only then _________how much change had been caused.
A. she realized B. she had realized C. had she realized D. did she realize
12. _______by keeping down costs will Power Date hold its advantage over other companies.
A. Only B. Just C. Still D. Yet
13. So difficult ___________it to work out the problem that I decided to ask Tom for advice.
A. I did find B. did I find C. I have found D. have I found
14. __________homework did we have to do that we had no time to take a rest.
A. So much B. Too much C. Too little D. So little
15. ----It’s burning hot today, isn’t it?
A. So was it B. So it was C. So it is D. So is it
16. ----I reminded you not to forget the appointment.
A. So you did B. So I do not C. So did you D. So do I
17. At the foot of the mountain _________.
A. a village lie B. lies a village C. does a village D. lying a village
18. If Joe’s wife won’t go to the party, __________.
A. he will either B. neither will he C. he neither will D. either he will
19. ----How was the televised debate last night?
----Super! Rarely _________ so much media attention.
A. a debate attracted B. did a debate attract
C. a debate did attract D. attracted a debate
20. The little boy came riding full speed down the motorway on his bicycle. _________ it was!
A. What a dangerous scene B. What dangerous a scene
C. How a dangerous scene D. How dangerous the scene
21. Little _______ that we were watching his every move, so he seemed to be going his own way
in this business.
A. he realized B. he didn't realizeC. didn't he realize D. did he realize
22. ----Did you see who the driver was?
----No, so quickly_________ that I couldn’t gat a good look at his face.
A．did the car speed by B．the car sped by
C．does the car speed by D．the car speeds by
23. _________, his idea was accepted by all the people at the meeting.
A. Strange as might it soundB. As it might sound strange
C. As strange it might sound D. Strange as it might sound
24. I have been living in the United States for twenty years, but seldom _______ so lonely as now.
A. have I felt B. I had felt C. I have felt D. had I felt
25. No sooner _________ to the station ___________ the train left.
A. had I got, whenB. I had got, thanC. had I got, thanD. did I get, when