1. Many children have formed the habit of reading but notes meanwhile.
A. not take B. not to take C. not taking D. not to taking
2. ---The project wasn’t difficult for him, was it?
--- . He should have been given a more difficult one.
A. No, it was B. Yes, it was C. Yes, it wasn’t D. No, it wasn’t
3. If parents never expert their children to be helpful at home, they are sure .
A. not B. not to C. not to be D. not to be that
4. Any application form properly will not be accepted by the company.
A. not to be filled B. not filled C. not being filled D. not having been filled
5. ----You didn’t get hurt at all in the traffic accident? ---- . I was a lucky dog.
A. No problem B. I don’t think so C. I am afraid not D. Good heavens no
6. I doubt if I will come to listen to his speech next time. It couldn’t have been in fact.
A. any worse B. so bad C. any better D. so good
7. ----I don’t think you should use your dictionary all the time while reading.
---- , but I can’t do without it.
A. No, I should B. Yes, I shouldn’t C. No, I shouldn’t D. Yes, I should
8. ----You didn’t wait for Mr. Black last night, did you?
----Oh, but we . He didn’t return home at all.
A. couldn’t have B. needn’t have C. didn’t need to D. should have
9. ----How did you sleep last night? ----Like a log. Never slept .
A. worse B. better C. well D. best
10. He moved away from his parents, and missed them ____ to enjoy the exciting life in
New York.? A. too much B. enough C. very much D. so much as
11. This is the cheapest. Nowhere else .
A. you can find such a nice thing B. can such a nice thing be found
C. such a nice thing can be found D. there can be such a nice thing
12. ----Did you enjoy yourself at the party?
----Yes. I’ve never been to ________ one before.
A. a more excited B. the most excited C. a more exciting D. the most exciting
13. Of all the books on the desk, ________ is of any use for our study.
A. nothing B. no one C. neither D. none
14."You can't have this football back _________ you promise not to kick it at my cat again," the
old man said firmly.
A. because B. since C. when D. until
15. We don’t keep winning games _______ we keep playing well.
A. because B. unless C. when D. while
16. ----I always take care when doing papers on the computer.
----You meant it! One can not be too ____ working on it.
A. nervous B. sure C. anxious D. careless
17. ----The exam wasn’t difficult, was it? ----No, but I don’t think ____ could pass it.
A. somebody B. anybody C. everybody D. nobody
18. ----Wait until we get a satisfactory reply, will you?
----I couldn’t agree ____ . The idea sounds great to me.
A. much B. worse C. more D. at all
19. ----I’m afraid those bags are too heavy for the girl along the way.
---- ____ you forget me! I can give her a hand with them.
A. Don’t B. Didn’t C. Won’t D. Can’t
20. ----Don’t go there alone in such late hours. ----Don’t worry. I .
A. don’t B. won’t C. didn’t D. haven’t
21. We are too busy to take a long holiday this year, ________ the fact that we can't afford it.
A. not to speak B. not to mention C. to say anything of D. much less
22. They could hardly keep themselves alive, ________ look after a wife and children.
A. or not B. and even not C. let alone D. as opposed to
23. We should ________ look down upon the people who are inferior to us.
A. by no means B. by any means C. at all D. in any way
24. It won’t be long ________ imperialism comes to its end.
A. when B. after C. until D. before
25. The ministry had no alternative ________ our rates.
A. except raising B. but raise C. but to raise D. without raising
26. The students cannot be ________ careful in performing the experiment as it is such a critical link in the whole project.
A. very B. too C. quite D. so
27. It's nearly impossible to go through a major city ___ a person who is or appears to be homeless.
A. not to have seen B. not to see C. without seeing D. without being seen
28. The experiment is ________; it was a great success.
A. far from being a failure B. far away from a failure
C. more than a failure D. nothing but a failure
29. The old lady whom Jack quarreled with yesterday is ________ Mary.
A. not other than B. none other than C. nobody other than D. no one other than
30. I ________ her skill of performance, though I don't like her personally.
A. can't but admitting B. can't help but admitting
C. can't help but to admit D. can't help but admit