一. 单项选择:(每小题1分; 共15小题; 学习15分)
1.—May I use your computer?
A. cheer up B. come on C. go ahead D. nothing
2. ____ of the land in my hometown ____ covered with trees and grass.
A. Two-fifths ; is B. Two-fifth ; are C. Two-fifth ; is D. Two-fifths ; are
3. _________the peace talk between the two countries will break down depends on your attitude.
A. If B. Whether C. Weather D. That
4. I would appreciate ________ much if you could write to me as soon as possible.
A. that B. it C. this D. what
5 She knows so much about England. She ____ there before.
A. must be B. must have been C. must live D. must have lived
6. The determined mother has devoted all she has to ________ her son out of trouble.
A. helping B. help C. have helped D. having helped
7. Everyone, be sure to be honest! You can't get away __________ cheating in the exam.
A. from B. with C. off D. on
8. After searching through the mountain, they managed to _____ the missing children.
A. point B. place C. spot D. site
9. It is bad ________ to point your fingers at others while talking.
A. ways B. manners C. means D. forms
10. I don’t agree with you two . I prefer ____ a new car rather than ____ it.
A. to buy ; to repair B. buy ; repair C. buy ; to repair D. to buy ; repair
11. I don't want to cooperate with _________ is different from me in character.
A. those who B. anyone C. whoever D. no matter who
12. __________ you trust him, you may as well follow his advice.
A. So that B. Now that C. Even if D. Except that
13. From a _____ look in his eyes, I bet he didn't get the hang of the meaning of the poem.
A. frightened B. satisfied C. puzzled D. Excited
14. You can imagine ____ when they received those nice Christmas presents.
A. how they were excited B. how excited they were C. how excited were they D. they were excited
15. Our school covers an area of 400 mu, which is _______ as yours.
A. twice as big B. twice bigger C. twice the size D. twice the big
Michel is a young girl who works for the police 16 a handwriting expert (教师). She has helped 17 many criminals (罪犯) by using her special talents (天才).
When she was fourteen, Michel was already 18 interested in the differences in her friends' 19 that she would spend hours 20 them. After 21 college she went to France for a 22 two-year class in handwriting at the School of Police Science.
Michel says that it is 23 for people to hide their handwriting. She can discover 24 of what she needs to know simply 25 looking at the writing with her own eyes, 26 she also has machines 27 help her make 28 different kinds of paper and ink. This knowledge is often 29 great help to the police.
Michel believes that handwriting is a good 30 of what kind of person the 31 is. "I wouldn't go out with a fellow 32 I didn't like his handwriting. " She says. But she 33 she fell in love with her future husband, a young policeman 34 she studied his handwriting. It is later proved to be 35 , however.
16. A. with B. by C. like D. as
17. A. search B. follow C. catch D. judge
18. A. so B. too C. quite D. extra
19. A. books B. letter C. tongues D. handwriting
20. A. writing B. studying C. settling D. uncovering
21 A. attending B. finishing C. starting D. stepping into
22. A. powerful B. natural C. special D. common
23. A .main B. safe C. easy D. impossible
24 A. most B. nothing C. little D. sight
25. A. with B. by C. of D. about
26 A. so B. for C. thus D. but
27 A. they B. in which C. that D. those
28 A. up B. out C. for D. Into
29 A. of B. to C. with D. for
30 A. test B. sign C. means D. habit(习惯)
31 A. thief B. criminal C. writer D. policeman
32 A. whether B. unless C. if D. after
33 A. adds B. tells C. repeats D. cries
34 A. before B. after C. shyly D. and
35 A. necessary B. all right C. important D. quite easy
To swim across the English Channel takes at least nine hours. It‘s hard work and it makes you short of breath. To fly over the channel takes only twenty minutes as long as you’re not held up at the airport，but it‘s an expensive way to travel. You can travel by hovercraft（气垫船）if you don’t mind the noise and that takes forty minutes. Otherwise，you can go by boat，if you remember your sea-sickness pills. All these means of transport have their problems，and the weary（厌烦的）traveler often dreams of being able to drive to France in his own car. “Not possible，you say. Well，wait a minute. People are once again considering the idea of a channel tunnel or bridge.” This time， the great London Council（议会）is looking into the possibility of building a channel link straight to London. A bridge would cost far more than a tunnel，but you would be able to make a journey by rail or by car on a bridge，yet a tunnel would provide a rail link only. Why is this idea being discussed again？Is Britain realizing the need for links with Europe as a result of joining EEC？Well，perhaps，the main reason，though，is that a tunnel or bridge would reach the twenty square kilometers of London‘s discussed dockland（船坞）。A link from London to the continent would stimulate（刺激）trade and revitalize（使重新具有活力）the port，and would make London a main trading center in Europe. With a link over the Channel，you could buy your fish and chips in England and be able to eat them in France while they are still warm！
36. From the lines we can see that people crossed the Channel by ______ in the past.
A. air B. boat C. swimming D. A， B， or C
37. The weary traveler thinks the best way to cross the Channel is ______.
A. by swimming B. in his own car C. by air D. by hovercraft
38. A tunnel would cost______ a bridge.
A. far less than B. as much as C. far more than D. as little as
39. The main idea of the passage is______.
A. how to develop the trade of London
B. when to cross the Channel
C. how to get to Europe from London more conveniently
D. what to do in the developing of traveling