2. at all
(1)用在肯定句中，“竟然” I'm surprised that you came at all.
(2)用在否定句中，“一点也不” There was nothing to worry about at all.
(3)用在疑问句中，“到底”“究竟” Have you been there at all?
(4)用在条件句中，“真的，确实” If you do it at all, do it well.
3. 含“be + 形容词 + 介词”的短语
1) be good at 擅长于
2) be interested in 对……感兴趣
3) be pleased / satisfied / content with 对……满意
4) be famous for 因……而出名
5) be kind / good to 对……好
6) be lost in 沉湎于
7) be active in 在某方面积极
8) be sure about / of 确信
9) be afraid of 害怕
10) be full of 充满
11) be filled with 充满
12) be made of / from 由……组成
13) be generous to 对……慷慨
14) be popular with 受欢迎
15) be confident of 确信
16) be fond of 喜欢，喜爱
17) be angry with / at 对……发脾气
18) be late for 迟到
19) be amazed / surprised / astonished / shocked at 对……感到惊讶
20) be busy doing 忙着做……
21) be excited about 对……感到兴奋
22) be worried about 担心
23) be used for / as 用于
24) be curious about 对……好奇
[例句] Lin Lin is confident of his ability to get work for himself. 林林确信自己有能力做这活。He was generous to everybody with money, as a result, he saved little. 他对谁花钱都很慷慨，结果没有攒到多少钱。She is very active in helping the poor. 在帮助穷人方面，她很热心。Pop music is popular with the young generation. 流行歌曲受年轻一代的欢迎。Lost in thought, he didn't realize that I came in. 他陷入思考之中，没有意识到我进来了。I was amazed at the sight so that I didn't know what to do. 看到这一幕我非常惊讶，不知道该做什么。Students in Senior 3 are busy preparing for the coming final exam. 高三学生在忙于准备即将到来的期末考试。
-- You know, Bob is a little slow ____ understanding, so...
-- So I have to be patient ____ him.
A. in; with B. on; with C. in; to D. at; for
[答案与解析] A be slow in 意为“在……方面反应迟钝”，be patient with 意为“对……有耐心”。
4. end up with...以……结束
(1) end up with + n. 以……结束
The party ended up with the singing of Auld Lang Syne.
(2) end up as...最后成为…He will end up as a president some day.
(3) end up + 地点状语最后(有……结局) If you drive your car like that, you'll end (up) in hospital.
5. “make + 名词” 短语
① make a noise 吵闹
② make faces 做鬼脸，做苦脸
③ make room for 给……腾出地方
④ make the bed 整理床铺
⑤ make phone calls 打电话
⑥ make friends with 交朋友
⑦ make money 赚钱
⑧ make use of 利用
⑨ make a decision 做出决定
⑩ make a mistake 犯错误
[例句] The boy made a face at his teacher when she turned her back. 老师转身时，男孩朝老师做了个鬼脸。
Working in the kitchen made the boy into a good cook. 在厨房里干活使男孩成为一位优秀厨师。
They were moved out to a nearby hotel, to make room for more important persons. 为了给更重要的人物腾出
【考例】 The idea puzzled me so much that I stopped for a few seconds to try to ____. (2003北京春招)
A. make it out B. make it off
C. make it up D. make it over
[答案与解析] A make out意为“领悟、弄明白、发现真相” make off 意为“连忙跑掉”；make up 意为“弥补、打扮、组成”；make over 意为“转让、改造”。因为受到迷惑，所以应该是试图发现真相。
-- When shall we start?
-- Let's ____ it at 8:30. Is that all right? (2002北京)
A. set B. meet C. make D. take
[考查目标] 此题主要考查 make 短语。
[答案与解析] C make it“规定时间”为固定短语。本句话意思是“把出发的时间定在8点半”。set意思是“对时间”、“调时间”。
6. make fire点火
有以下fire (n.) 短语: be on fire 着火了(表示状态) / catch fire 燃着；着火(表示动作) / play with fire 玩火；干冒险的事 / Set sth. on fire = set fire to sth. 放火烧…… / make (a) fire 点火；生火 / start (cause) a fire引起火灾
7. a great / good many许多
(1) a great / good many + 名词复数，中间无“of”。A great many people have seen the film.
(2) a great / good many + of + the / these / those / one's + 名词复数 A great many of the people have seen the film.
8. make yourself at home 别拘束
(1) make yourself at home 别拘束(主人对客人说的委婉语) -- Good evening, Jim. -- Good evening, Mary. Come in and make yourself at home.
(2) (all) by oneself 独自(没有别人帮助) You can't possibly do it all by yourself.
(3) enjoy oneself = have a good time 玩得高兴 Please enjoy yourself while you're spending your holiday in Hawaii.
(4) for oneself 亲自; 为自己The student wants to think it for himself. / One should not live for oneself alone.
(5) of oneself 自动地The door closed of itself suddenly.
(6) be oneself 身体或情绪好 I am not myself today.
(7) help oneself to + n. / pron. 随便…… Please help yourself to the fish．
(8) in oneself 本身 This is not a bad idea in itself.
(9) come to oneself 苏醒The injured man came to him- self in five minutes.
(10) between ourselves 私下说的话 All this is between ourselves.
9. the majority of... 大多数的……
(1) a / the majority of + 名词复数，作主语时，谓语动词多用复数。the majority 单独作主语，谓语动词用单数或复数形式均可。The majority of people seem to prefer watching games to playing games./ The majority were (was) in favour of the proposal.
(2) by a majority of + 数字，以超过……票的多数She won the election by a majority of 900 votes.
10. treat … as … 把…看做… The kind lady treated me as her own daughter.
regard…as… consider…(as)… think of…as…
look on / upon…as… take…for…
1. If you are ____ about Australian cities, just read the book written by Dr. Johnson.
A. interested B. anxious C. upset D. curious
2. Her son, ____ whom she was so ____, went abroad 10 years ago.
A. of; loved B. for; cared
C. to; devoted D. on; affected
3. In order to continue to learn by ourselves when we have left school, we must ____ learn how to study in the school now.
A. in all B. after all C. above all D. at all
4. -- I am sorry I didn't do a good job.
-- Never mind. ____, you have tried your best.
A. Above all B. In all
C. At all D. After all
5. Since we can't find a bigger apartment, we'll have to ____ what we have.
A. hope for the best B. make room for
C. make the best of D. lay our hope on
1. I don't enjoy singing, nor do I like computers. 我不喜欢唱歌，也不喜欢电脑。/ Rock music is OK, and so is skiing. 摇滚音乐还可以，滑雪也行。
这两句中nor与so用于倒装结构。例如：I don't know, nor do I care. 我不知道，也不关心。so的常见句型有：
(1) so + be / 助动词 / 情态动词 + 主语 (意为“主语也 ……” )
(2) neither / nor + be / 助动词 / 情态动词 + 主语(意为“主语也不……” )
(3) so it is / was with sb / sth和so it is / was the same with sb / sth (意为“主语也……” ) (用在前文有两个或以上的从句，而且分句有不同的谓语或既有肯定又有否定以及既有系动词义有行为动词的情况)
(4) so + 主语 + be / 助动词 / 情态动词 (意为“主讲确实如此”)，表示进一步肯定。
(5) 主语 + did + so (意为“主语按照吩咐做了”)。
【考例】 Mary never does any reading in the evening, ____. (2005全国 III)
A. so does John B. John does too
C. John doesn't too D. nor does John
[答案与解析] D 由never可以判断该句为否定句。空格处句意为“约翰也没读书”。nor, so, neither可引起倒装句。
2. Chuck is a businessman who is always so busy that he has little time for his friends. 查克是个生意人，他总是那么忙，几乎没有时间和朋友在一起。
该句中so...that... 和such...that... 都能连接结果状讲从句，但要注意词序不同。例如：Joan is such a lonely girl that all of us like her. = She is so lovely a girl that we all like her.
(1) such + a / an + 形容词 + 单数可数名词 + that clause
(2) such + 形容词 + 复数可数名词 + that clause
(3) such + 形容词 + 不可数名词 + that clause
(4) so + 形容词 + a / an + 单数可数名词 + that clause
(5) so + 形容词 / 副词 + that clause
(6) so + many / few + 复数可数名词 + that clause
(7) so + much / little + 不可数名词 + that clause
注意：① 当little不表示数量“少”而表示“小”的意思时，仍然 要用such。② 当so + adj. / adv. 或 such + n. 位于句首时，主句需要倒装。
【考例】 So difficult ____ it to live in an English-speaking country that I determined to learn English. (2001上海)
A. I have felt B. have I felt
C. I did feel D. did I feel
[考查目标] so + adj. 位于句首时，主句倒装。
[答案与解析] D A、C语序不对，排除。B时态不对。
3. One day Chuck is on a flight across the Pacific Ocean when suddenly his plane crashes. 一天，查克在飞越太平洋时．他的飞机突然坠毁了。
该句中的“when”表示“正在这时”，相当于and just或and at that time. 这时不能用while / as 替换。
常见句型：(1) be about to do sth when... (2) be doing sth when... (3) be on the point of doing sth when...
【考例】We were swimming in the lake ____ suddenly the storm started. (2004北京春招)
A. when B. while C. until D. before
[考查目标] "when" 作连词，表示“正在这时”。
[答案与解析] A 意为“我正在湖中游泳，突然暴风雨来了。”只有when才能用于这种句型。
4. He has to learn how to collect water, hunt for food, and make fire. 他不得不学会收集淡水．寻找食物，生火什么的。
该句中的“how I to collect...”为动词不定式短语作宾语。例如：We must decide which one to buy. 疑问词which, what, how, when, where等与小定式构成不定式短语。
【考例】 I've worked with children before, so I knew what ____ in my new job. (NMET 2000)
A. expected B. to expect C. to be expecting D. expects
[考查目标] what to do sth 不定式短语作宾语。
[答案与解析] B 该句需要填非谓语动词。排除A、D。句意为“以前我与孩子在一块儿工作过。因此我知道我的新工作需要什么。”C不表示进行，排除C。
5. In order to survive, Chuck developed a friendship with an unusual friend — a volleyball he called Wilson. 为了生存下去，查克和一位不寻常的朋友--“排球”建立了友谊，查克叫他威尔森。
1. 该句中的"in order to"，意思为“为了，以便”，作目的 状语。在句子中作同的状语的常见句型有五种结构：to do sth / in order to do sth / so as to do sth / in order that clause / so that clause
注意：(1) so as to do sth 不能位于句首。(2) 如果主句与从句的主语一致时，四个结构可以相互转换。(3) 在in order that / so that 引导的从句中，谓语动词常与can, could, may, might 等情态动词连用。