1. Objectives: 60 students of senior high Grade 2
2. Material: Reading passage Come And Eat Here from Unit 2 of Senior English in NSEC
3. Type of class: Reading
4. Time duration: 1period (40mins.)
5. Date: September 23, 2011
1. Language Aims:
(1) Students can tell which protective food is and which energetic food is
(2) Names of Food: barbecued mutton, roast pork, bacon…
(3) Key Words: curiosity, hostess, raw, vinegar, tell, discount, win, back… (These words are some basic words.)
(4) Phrases: lose weight, get away with… (Because they are useful in our daily life and we often need to use them.)
(5) Sentence patterns:
① Suggestions and advice
What should we do? Shall we. . . ? How about. . . ?
You must/mustn’t. . . . I think you ought to. . . . Perhaps you should. . . .
You’d better. . . . You need/needn’t. . . . You have to/don’t have to. . . .
My advice is/would be. . . . You might. . . . I suggest that you. . . .
I would strongly advise you to. . . . It might be a good idea to. . . .
② Seeing the doctor
What’s the matter? What’s wrong with you?
What seems to be the trouble? How long have you been like this?
It’s nothing serious, only. . . . I suppose you had better. . . .
I think you ought to. . . .
③ Agreement and disagreement
I’m not sure that! You could be right, but. . . .
(I’m afraid)I don’t agree. I agree up to a point, but. . . .
That’s an interesting idea, but. . . . Do you really think. . . ?
Rubbish! /Nonsense! You can’t be serious!
Actually/As a matter of fact, I think. . . . That’s not how I see it.
Modal verbs: ought to/ought not to,have to/don’t have to/mustn’t/needn’t
2. Skills Aims:
Reading Skills: skimming, scanning
3. Ability Aims:
(1) Improve the reading ability of students
(2) Improve the integral skills of students
4. Emotional Aims:
(1) Students learn to be a good listener.
(2) Students can express themselves confidently.
1. Students can understand the passage
2. Students can tell which protective food is and which energetic food is
3. Students can apply their reading skills to efficient reading under the guide of the teacher
Students can improve and apply their reading skills.
Blackboard, chalk, computer, ppt
Step 1: Lead-in (pre-reading) 8mins
1. Asking students the food they like 1mins
2. Show some pictures and let students tell which is healthy food and which is junk food 2mins
3. Predicting: Let students read the first paragraph, and predict why there is no customer in Wang Peng’s restaurant. 3mins
4. Pair Work: Let students discuss about their predicting. 2mins
T: Good morning, class.
Ss: Good morning, Miss Li.
T: We all know that we need to eat every day, right?
T: Now I want to ask you a question. What kind of food do you like? If you don’t know its Chinese name, you can speak in Chinese.
Sa: French fries.
Sb: I like barbecue.
T: Ok, now we will see some pictures of food.
After seeing the pictures
T: Do you know which is healthy food and which is junk food?
Ss: … is healthy food, … is junk food.
T: In fact, … is not healthy food but junk food. And …is healthy food.
T: Ok, today we’ll learn something about food. Now please open your book and look at the reading on page …
Students open their books.
T: Now, please read the first paragraph and try to find why there is no customer in Wang Peng’s restaurant. After that, three or four of you come into a group. And you can discuss your predicting with your partners. You have only three minutes for reading and two minutes for discussing.
Students read and discuss.
Step 2: While-reading 22mins
1. Skimming: Let student skim the whole passage and check their prediction. 3mins
2. Scanning: Let students find the menu of two restaurants and the features of them. And then let them scan to find the answer. 7mins
3. Teacher explains some language points. 12mins
T: Ok, time is up. Have you finished discussing? Now you have 3mins to skim the whole passage and check your prediction.
Ss read and check.
T: Is your prediction right? Now please scan the passage. While scanning, write down the menu and the features of these two restaurants. Do you understand me?
T: Have you found the answer?
Ss: Yes. The menu of Wang Peng’s restaurant is…And its features are… The menu of Yong Hui’s restaurant is … Its features are …
T: Since you have understood most part of the passage, now we will talk about some language points in this passage. …
Step 3: Post-reading 8mins
1. Do true or false exercise 2mins
2. Retell the story 2mins
3. Using the key words to do the blank filling exercise (providing on the ppt) 4mins
T: Now we will do some comprehending exercises. First, try to do the true or false questions. If it is wrong, please find the reason.
True or false questions:
Usually Wang Peng’s restaurant was full of people.
Yong Hui could make people thin in two weeks by giving them a good diet.
Wang Peng’s regular customers often became fat.
Yong Hui’s menu gave customers more energy-giving food.
Wang Peng’s menu gave customers more productive food.
Wang Peng decided to compete with Yong Hui by copying her menu.
T: How about the first? Is it true or false?
T: The second?
T: Yeah, it is false. But could you tell me the reason?
Ss: Because …
T: According to your answers, I know you have comprehended the passage. But could you retell the story? Now I will give you one minute to prepare.
A minute later…
T: Are you ready?
T: Good. Any volunteer? How about Sc?
T: Excellent! You really did a very good job.
T: Now, to check your understanding of some key words and phrases, please try to fill the blank.
By lunchtime, Wang Peng’s restaurant _____ be full of people, but not today! When he was thinking what had happened, he saw his friend hurry by. He followed him into a new restaurant. He saw a sign: Want to _______? _____ drove him inside. The _____ is a very thin lady, name Yong Hui. She gave him a menu with only a few choices: _____ vegetables served in _____, fruit and water. On his way home, he thought about his own menu. He go to library to find his menu served _____ fat. Though customers _____ Yong Hui’s food, they are not giving enouth energy-giving food. And they would become tired very quickly. He thought with a _____ and a new sign he could _____ his customers back.
If you and your friends will go out to have a meal, which restaurant will you go? Will you go to Wang Peng’s restaurant or Yong Hui’s restaurant? And give me the reasons. Please think about it. And next time, we will have a debate.
T: Ok, class is over, thank you for your listening. And next time, we will talk more about this reading passage. See you next time.
Ss: See you.