Unit 1 Great scientists
1. put forward 提出
2. draw a conclusion 得出结论
3. be/get under control 在……控制下
be/get out of control失去控制，不能操纵
4. be absorbed in 专心
5. be to blame 应该受责备（用主动形式表示被动）
blame sb. for sth. 因某事责备某人
6. in addition 也，另外，此外
7. link...to... 将…和…连接或联系起来
8. die of 因…而死亡（内因）
die from 因…而死亡（外因）
9. lead to 导致，通向
10. make sense 有意义，说得通
11. apart from 除…之外，此外
12. contribute to 为…作贡献或捐款，导致，有助于
13. be enthusiastic about 对…热情
14. be curious about 对…好奇
15. cure sb. of illness 治好某人…病
16. point of view 态度，观点，看法
17.（be）strict with sb. 对某人要求严格
1. John Snow was a well-known doctor in London – so famous， indeed， that he attended Queen Victoria to ease the birth of her babies.
2. But he became inspired when he thought about helping ordinary people exposed to cholera.
3. Neither its cause， nor its cure was understood.
4. He knew it would never be controlled until its cause was found.
5. He got interested in two theories explaining how cholera killed people.
6. The second suggested that people absorbed this disease into their bodies with their meals.
7. He believed in the second theory but needed to prove he was correct.
8. It seemed that the water was to blame.
9. Immediately John Snow told the astonished people in Broad Street to remove the handle from the water pump so it could not be used.
10. Only if you put the sun there did the movements of the other planets in the sky make sense.
11. But only his new theory could do that.
12. Yet Copernicus’ theory is now the base on which all our ideas of the universe are built.