高中试题
当前位置: 首页 > 高二> 高二英语> 高二英语知识点

人教版高中英语必修三第三单元:百万英镑

来源:101教育网整理 2015-05-14 字体大小: 分享到:

Unit 3 百万英镑

THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE

Act I, Scene 3

第一幕第3场

NARRATOR:

旁白:

It is the summer of 1903.

1903年的夏天。

Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.

一对年老又富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。

Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note

奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票

a man could survive a month in London.

在伦敦能活一个月。

His brother Roderick doubts it.

他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。

At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house.

这时,他们看见一个身无分文的年轻人在房子外面的人行道上游荡。

It is Henry Adams, an American businessman,

他叫亨利·亚当斯,一个美国商人。

who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.

他在伦敦迷了路,不知道该怎么办。

RODERICK: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?

罗德里克:年轻人,请你进来一下好吗?

HENRY: Who? Me, sir?

亨利:先生,你叫谁呀?是叫我吗?

RODERICK: Yes, you.

罗德里克:是的,就是你。

OLIVER: Through the front door on your left.

奥利弗:从你左侧的前门进来。

HENRY: (A servant opens a door) Thanks.

亨利:(仆人给他开门)谢谢。

SERVANT: Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?

仆人:早上好,先生,请进。

Permit me to lead the way, sir.

先生,请让我来带路吧。

OLIVER: (Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.

奥利弗:(亨利走进来)谢谢你,詹姆斯,没你的事了。

RODERICK: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?

罗德里克:你好,先生。你贵姓?

HENRY: Adams. Henry Adams.

亨利:亚当斯。亨利·亚当斯。

OLIVER: Come and sit down, Mr Adams.

奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生。

HENRY: Thank you.

亨利:谢谢。

RODERICK: You're an American?

罗德里克:你是美国人?

HENRY: That's right, from San Francisco.

亨利:是的,从旧金山来。

RODERICK: How well do you know London?

罗德里克:你对伦敦熟悉吗?

HENRY: Not at all, it's my first trip here.

亨利:一点儿也不熟,这是我第一次来伦敦。

RODERICK: I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,不知你是否介意我们问几个问题?

HENRY: Not at all. Go right ahead.

亨利:不介意。请问吧。

RODERICK: May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?

罗德里克:可不可以问一问,你在这个国家要做什么,你的计划又是什么呢?

HENRY: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. I'm hoping to find work.

亨利:恩... 谈不上有什么计划。我希望能找到工作。

As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.

事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。

OLIVER: How is that possible?

奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?

HENRY: Well, you see, back home I had my own boat.

亨利:是这样的。你看,在美国的时候我有我自己的船,

About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay ...

大约一个月以前,我开船驶出了海湾......

(his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)

(他的眼睛盯着兄弟俩留在餐桌上的残羹剩菜上)

OLIVER: Well, go on.

奥利弗:往下说啊。

HENRY: Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind.

亨利:哦,好的。傍晚时分我发现我被一阵狂风刮到海上去了。

It was all my fault. I didn't know whether I could survive until morning.

这都是我的错。我不知道是否能活到早晨。

The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.

第二天早上,我正感到绝望的时候,一艘海船发现了我。

OLIVER: And it was the ship that brought you to England.

奥利弗:正是那艘船把你带到了英国。

HENRY: Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand,

亨利:是的。事实上,我靠做义工来顶替船费。

which accounts for my appearance.

这就是为什么我衣冠不整的原因了。

I went to the American embassy to seek help, but ...

我上美国大使馆求助,但是......

(The brothers smile at each other.)

(兄弟俩相视而笑)

RODERICK: Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.

罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。

HENRY: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.

亨利:对不起,先生。你的话我没有听懂。

RODERICK: Tell us, Mr Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请告诉我们,你在美国干哪一个行当?

HENRY: I worked for a mining company.

亨利:我在一家矿业公司工作。

Could you offer me some kind of work here?

你们能不能给我提供一份工作呢?

RODERICK: Patience, Mr Adams.

罗德里克:耐心点儿。亚当斯先生。

If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?

如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?

HENRY: Well, to be honest, I have none.

亨利:老实说,我一分钱都没有了。

OLIVER: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)

奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄!真走运!真有运气!(鼓起掌来)

HENRY: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me!

亨利:呃...这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是。

On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny.

事实上,正好相反。如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得好笑。

(Henry stands up to leave)

(亨利起身准备走)

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.

好了,请原谅。我想我该走了。

RODERICK: Please don't go, Mr Adams.

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请别走。

You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.

你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。

OLIVER: Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift)

奥利弗:是,拿信。(从桌上把信拿起来,像送礼品一样递给亨利)

The letter.

给你信。

HENRY: (taking it carefully) For me?

亨利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我的吗?

RODERICK: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it.

罗德里克:是给你的。(亨利要拆信)啊,别拆,你不要拆。

Not yet. You can't open it until two o'clock.

现在还不是时候,到两点钟你才能打开。

HENRY: Oh, this is silly.

亨利:这真可笑。

RODERICK: Not silly. There's money in it. (calls to the servant) James?

罗德里克:这不可笑,这里面有钱呢。(叫仆人)詹姆斯?

HENRY: Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want an honest job.

亨利:噢,不,我不需要你们的施舍。我只要一份老老实实的工作。

RODERICK: We know you're hard-working.

罗德里克:我们知道你工作是很卖力的。

That's why we've given you the letter. James, show Mr Adams out.

这正是我们给你这封信的原因。詹姆斯,请送亚当斯先生出去。

OLIVER: Good luck, Mr Adams.

奥利弗:祝你好运。亚当斯先生。

HENRY: Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?

亨利:恩......怎么不给我讲讲,这究竟是怎么回事呢?

RODERICK: You'll soon know. (looks at the clock) In exactly an hour and a half.

罗德里克:你很快就会明白的。(看着钟)一个半小时以后。

SERVANT: This way, sir.

仆人:请这边走,先生。

RODERICK:Mr Adams, not until 2 o'clock. Promise?

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,两点以前请不要拆信,你能保证吗?

HENRY: Promise. Goodbye.

亨利:我保证!再见!

猜你喜欢

精品学习资料

扫描二维码注册领取

精选常考文言文考点,专注提升古文修养,更多学习资料尽在101辅导APP