Unit 1 Art
1. in the abstract 抽象地，理论上
abstract sth. from sth. 从…中提取…
2. as well as 也，同，和；同…一样
3. aim at sth. 瞄准
aim to do sth. 意欲，企图做某事
aim at doing sth.
with the aim of 带有……的目的
4. focus on=concentrate on 集中
5. convince sb. Of 使某人信服
6. a great deal 大量
7. in the flesh 活着的 本人
8. take the place of sb. = replace 代替，取代
take one’s place 代替，取代；入座；就位
9. break away from 脱离，摆脱，放弃
10. at the same time 同时；但是
11. would rather do sth （主语）宁愿做某事
would rather sb. did sth. 宁愿某人做某事(现在或将来)
would rather sb. had done sth. 宁愿某人做某事(过去)
12. as a consequence =in consequence = as a result 结果
as a consequence of =in consequence of =as a result of 由于…的原因
13. in possession of 拥有…
in the possession of sb =in one’s possession 为某人所拥有
take/ have possession of 拥有（占有）
14. consider doing 考虑做某事
consider sb./sth. to be/as
consider that-clause 认为，看待
consider it adj./n.＋to do sth.
15. be well worth doing 值得…(表被动)
16. be contemporary with 与…属同时期
17. convince sb. of sth 使某人确信/明白某事
convince sb. +that clause 使某人相信…
convince sb.to do sth. 说服某人做某事
18. not only……but also 不但……而且
19. every two years 每两年
every second year
every other year
20. be (well) worth n./doing(主动表被动) …值得…
1. Art is influenced by the way of life and beliefs of the people.
2. If the rules of perspective had not been discovered, people would not have been able to paint such realistic pictures.
3. Among the painters who broke away from the traditional style of painting were the impressionists who lived and worked in Paris.
4. When people first saw his paintings they were convinced they were looking through a hole in the wall at a real scene.
5. The garden of this lovely mansion is also well worth a visit.
6. In the Renaissance, new ideas and values took the place of those that were held in the Middle Ages.
7. People became focused more on humans and less on religion.
8. They paid famous artists to paint pictures of themselves, their houses and other possessions, as well as their activities and achievements.
9. Nowadays, there are scores of modern art styles, but without the impressionists many of these painting styles would not exist.
10. Its art collection covers more than 5,000 years of civilization from many parts of the world, including America, Europe, China, Egypt, Africa and South America.
This place is worth visiting/a visit.
This place is worthy of being visited/a visit.
This place is worthy to be visited.
It is worthwhile visiting this place/ to visit this place.