Unit 5 Nelson Mandela--a modern hero
（Teaching plan of warming up and pre-reading）
一、 Background information
1. Students: Class 13 Grade 1, 60 students,
2. Lesson duration: 40 mins
二、 Teaching aims
1. Can know the adjectives and use them to describe the quality of great person.
2. Can know something about the lives of some great people
3. Can know the difference between great person and famous person.
4. Can be motivated by great person through learning about their great contribution.
5. Can improve Ss’ oral English.
三、 Teaching focus and difficult points
1.The adjectives about personal qualities and sentences “what do you think are most important qualities to make a great man?” “why do you think so?”
2. The contribution of some great person
3. The definition of great person.
1. How to distinguish a great person and famous person
2. Some great person’s autobiography
3. How to use the proper adjectives to describe a person.
1. Speaking method
2. Task-based method
3. Discussion method
4. Pair work or group work method
1. Blackboard, chalks
2. Radio, word cards
★Step 1 warming up (1min)
Greetings: good morning, boys and girls. Nice to see you again, the weather is getting cold. You should put on more clothes and keep warm. Take care of yourselves and don’t catch a cold, ok?
★ Step 2 Revision (5mins)
Check homework answers of newspaper Reading B C D E with Ss.
★ Step 3 lead in (4 mins)
Listen to a song 《光辉岁月》
Then ask Ss “Do you know the name of this song?”
“What is the meaning of this song?”
----in honor of Nelson Mandela
★Step 4 presentation (30mins)
I. Boys and girls. I think you must be very familiar with your desk mate. So now I’d like you to use an adjective to describe her/ him. For example, she is very active. He is very lazy.
Ss think for 1 min. and then ask several Ss to answer.
II. Open the textbook to P33, warming up
1. Explain the adjectives to Ss. classify them into good qualities and bad qualities. Ss answer together.
2. What qualities do you think a great people should have? You can use those adjectives to describe
3. Can you name some people who are great?
4. Talk about famous person and great person.
What do you think is the difference between great person and famous person?
Use the following expressions to ask for others’ opinions:
• What do you think of …?
• What’s your opinion?
• What are your ideas?
• Do you have any thoughts on that?
• How do you feel about that?
• Why do you think so?
Explain the difference between great person and famous person.
Great person: He/she must devote himself/herself to helping others and do things for the social good even though he/she has to give up his/her money, families and his/her life. That is to say, he must devote his life to helping others and they would sacrifice something for others.
Famous person: someone who is well-known work hard and a huge success.
1. Do you think great people are famous? Are famous people great?
2. Look at the six pictures in the book; finish the diagram on the blackboard.