Period 3 Reading（1）
Teaching Aims :
1. Train the students’ reading ability .
2. Learn and master the following words , phrases and sentence structure:
Throughout the world; more than; add …to …; remind sb about ; no matter wh - ; dare ; In case of ; break down ; room ; come up with;
Teaching Important Points :
1. Learn and master the words , phrase and sentence patterns above
2. How to make the students understand the text better .
Teaching Difficult Points:
1. Master the difference between the following phrases:
No matter wh- / wh-ever in case / in case of
2. How to Understand the texts completely .
1. Fast reading to let the students get the general idea of the text .
2. Question-and-answer activity to let the students get the detailed information in the text.
3. Making sentences to have the students master some language points .
1. a tape recorder 2. a blackboard
Step I . Greetings.
Step II. Presentation
Part Two Reading Who am I?
I. Read the text quickly again and do the true or false questions.
1. In 1642, I began as a calculating machine and could solve any mathematical problem.
2. My real father was Charles Babbage, who wrote a book and built me in 1936.
3. After I got my new transistors in the 1960s, I cecame smaller but cleverer and quicker.
4. I was brought into people’s homes in the 1970s.
5. Since my birth I have been built to take the place of the human race.
II. Choose the best answer according to the text.
1)From the passage, “I” refers to _________.
A. a son of Alan Turing w.w.w.k.s.5.u.c.o.m
B. a “universal machine” which can solve any mathematical problem
C. a person who b uilt an Analytical Machine
D. a machine which is simple-minded
2) From the change of computers, we can infer(推断出)that ___________.
A. little by little computers can really think and feel like the people
B. in the future computers may refuse to serve the prople
C. science and technology develop rapidly
D. sooner or later computers may take the place of human beings
3) At that time it was considered a technological revolution and the start of my “artificial intelligence”, the underlined word means_______.
A. natural B. mathematical C. clever D. man-made
III. Fill in the blanks with the information from the text of WHO AM I?
I, the _____________, was a calculating machine in 1642 in _____________. Then I was built as an analytical machine in 1822, which was a technological ______________. I became a “_________ machine” in 1936 to _________________ any mathematical problem. I was not evry big at first. Then I became huge, the _______ of a large room before I was made smaller and smaller. I was ______________with other computers and turned out to be part of a ____________ in the early 1960s. I was able to _____________my knowledge with others ____________the World Wide Web. Since the 1970s I have been used first as a ____________ and then as a _____________ in officers and ________________. w.w.w.k.s.5.u.c.o.m
Many changes have happened to my ______________. First it was ___________in tubes, then on ___________and later on very small _____________. So my _________ totally changed. As I have grown older I have also grown ______________.
I have been widely used in many fields, such as in communication, _______________, trade and medical _____________. I have also been put into robots and space ______________ to _______________ the Moon and Mars. I’m glad I am a ______________ friend and helper of the human race.
Homework: Prepare the key and difficult points of the text.