1. Older students were having difficulty in studying and o_________ themselves.
2. That place is dirty and s_________.
3. In the city， the water pipes in some buildings cracked and b________.
4. People began to wonder how long the d_________ would last.
5. F_________ water was taken to the city by train， truck and plane.
6. Everywhere they looked nearly everything was d__________.
7. The railway tracks were now u_______ pieces of steel.
8. Without _________ （电），modern life would be very difficult.
9. __________ （判断）from his appearance， the manger must be over fifty.
10. Dead and ________ （受伤的）people lay everywhere after the terrible accident.
1．The houses across the street are _______ ， but they were in good condition a few years ago.
A. in rows B. in ruins C. in number D. in detail
2. The boy was so careful that he ________ the street and broke his leg.
A. fell down B. fell over C. fell off D. fell onto
3. He was a warm-hearted and hard working man， and________ by his classmates.
A. high thought of B. highly thought of C. badly thought of D. was well thought
4. ---They used to be good friends， but now they are like strangers.
---How ______ this ________ ？
A. does； come about B. did； come about
C. were； taken place D. were happened
5. ______ will be built here next year.
A. A great deal B. A large amount of
C. A large number of D. The number of
6. After living in Paris for 50 years， he returned to the small town ______ he grow up as a child.
A. which B. that C. when D. where
7. Do you remember the place _____ we visited last year？
A. that B. where C. when D. in which
8. I don’t like _____ you speak to her.
A. the way B. the way in that C. the way which D. the way of which
9. ________ the machine begins to work， you can’t stop it _____.
A. While； soon B. For； right away C. Once； at once D. Until； immediately
10. In the country sales of fruits and vegetables________ 38% in the last 3 years.
A. have risen by B. have raised to C. has lifted on D. has got into
一、1. organizing 2. smelly 3. burst 4. disaster 5. Fresh 6. destroyed
7. useless 8. electricity 9. Judging 10. injured
二、1-5 CCBBC 6-10 DAACA
三、1． right away 2. at an end 3. be proud of 4. a （large） number of
5. give out