1. ---What does Sarah’s manager think of her?
---He has a very high _____ of her work.
A. idea B. advice C. thought D. opinion
2. As we all know, deaf people use sign language to ______.
A. express B. exchange C. communicate D. explain
3. ---Nancy likes surfing the Internet but she isn’t fond of listening to pop music.
A. So it is with Karen B. So does Karen C. So is Karen D. So Karen does
4. I shall never understand how it ___ that you were an hour late for the important meeting.
A. took place B. came in C. came about D. came out
5. When you come here for your holiday next time, don’t go to ____hotel; I can find you ___bed in my flat.
A. the, X B. a, the C. a, X D. the, a
6. –Hi Jane. How nice you have come! Come in and _____.
--Thank you. What a wonderful house!
A. help yourself B. make yourself at home
C. be free yourself D. have a look at my house.
7. Henry Adams, for ____ money was now not a problem, wanted to stay in a expensive hotel.
A. which B. him C. whose D. whom
8. I thought her kind and helpful _____ I met her.
A. for the first time B. every time C. the first time D. first time
9. Telling Bob he no longer had a position in the company was an unpleasant ____ for the manager.
A. work B. duty C. task D. means
10. The first day on the job, Roy got off on the wrong foot by telling his boss a stupid joke.
The underlined phrase means “________”.
A. knocked at the door B. had a bad start C. did a stupid job D. entered a wrong room
11. Great changes have taken place in my hometown. It is quite different from ____it was five years ago.
A. where B. which C. the one D. that
12. Jane was alone in the world _____ an aunt in Brazil.
A. except for B. except C. besides D. except that
13. ---Has he lived here for a long time?
---Not very long, ______ he was made mayor of this city.
A. from B. when C. since C. after
14. ---Did you say it would get colder this afternoon?
---Yes. I can _____ you.
A. promise B. admit C. answer D. prove
15. ---Ann will be sent abroad very soon.
---She never dreamed ______such a chance.
A. to be B. there to be C. of there being D. of there to be
16. I listened to Dr. John’s lecture about biology, but I failed to get its key _____.
A. words B. points C. notes D. messages
17. However hard I tried to open the door, it just ______ open.
A. shouldn’t B. wouldn’t C. couldn’t D. mightn’t
18. You must have worked as a teacher before you turned writer, _____you?
A. haven’t B. hadn’t C. didn’t D. don’t
19. ---Where did you meet Mr. Smith?
---It was in the hotel _____ he stayed.
A. that B. where C. which D. as
20. Believe it or not, the boy his father considered ______very hard failed in the important examination.
A. working B. to work C. to have worked D. having worked
21. While it may sound scary, the operation is quite _____.
A. normal B. ordinary C. common D. usual
22. Unlike important part like the heart and lungs, ______, the appendix serves no purpose.
A. Of course B. In a word C. In general D. In fact
23. You may have heard of appendicitis (阑尾炎). That’s ____ the appendix becomes infected(感染) and needs to be removed.
A. where B. when C. what D. which
24. What is an appendix( 阑尾)? We are all born with an appendix but not everyone ____.
A. leaves B. needs C. stays D. keeps
25. It was used to help digest food thousands of years ago, but we _____ need it.
A. no longer B. no more C. not, any longer D. not, any more
A. 24/22/25/23/21 B. 24/25/22/23/21 C. 25/24/22/21/23 D. 23/21/24/22/25