Unit Two English around the world
The First Period (Warming up & pre-reading)
1. to know that English has not only taken different forms in the world but plays different roles.
2. to know how wide spread English is in the world today.
3. to master some useful words and expressions.
2. cooperative learning
Teaching materials: Warming up
Step One: Leading-in
1. Free talk: Something about English
Let the Ss talk about English language as many as they can.
Step Two: Discussion
Ask the Ss:
1 Do you know where is English spoken in the world?
(Let some Ss list on the Bb all the English-speaking counties in the world that they can think of, then give them hints about places that they haven’t mentioned)
2 How many people speak English in the world today?
3 Why do so many people speak English?
4 Do you think that there is only one kind of English in the world?
(Tell the Ss that English has a variety of spoken and written forms, and there are two major groups of English: British English and American English.)
Step Three: Guess and discuss
1. Have the Ss guess which of the following words is British English and which is American English: （前美后英）
elevator / lift on a team / in a team eraser/ rubber
2. Give Ss a few of the British English words, let them discuss in pairs and try to guess the British English equivalents.
E.g.. pub: bar mad: crazy autumn: fall
mend: repair post: mail film: movie\ film
ill: sick lorry: truck match: game
Step Four: Language points:
1 in some way 在某些方面
e.g. In some way, it’s good, but it’s expensive.
词组联想：on the \ one’s way to 在去 …… 的路上
in the way 挡路
in no way 决不
in a way 在一定程度上
by way of 经由……
E.g.. We were late because it rained.
They are here because of us.
Step Six: Assignments
1.Ask Ss to give more words that are spoken or written in different forms.
2. Prepare for Reading
The Second and Third Period
( reading and comprehending)
1. to know about how English developed----a brief history of the English language
2. to promote the Ss’ abilities of reading comprehension
3. to learn about some new language points
1. reading and discussion
2. cooperative learning and speaking
Teaching materials: Reading, Comprehending
Step One: Leading-in
T: English, like all major world languages, it is constantly changing . Do you know the brief history of the English language?