必修四 M4 Unit4
major local represent curious introduce
approach stranger express action general
avoid misunderstand similar agreement adult
punish intend means universal cultural
apologize behave bow flight defence
dormitory canteen dash comfortable distance
prefer touch custom false hug
function international powerful greet fist
yawn threaten respectful association gesture
be likely to at ease neither … nor …
kook sb in the eyes watch out introduce…to…
be similar to be willing to do on the contrary
communicate with shake hands with in general
facial expression lose face turn one’s back to
in most cases base … on from side to side
1. I saw several young people enter the waiting area looking around curiously.
2. Not all cultures greet each other the same way, Nor are they comfortable in the same way with touching or distance between people.
3. We can often be wrong about each other, so it is an amazing thing that we understand each other as well as we do.
4. Smiles around the world can be false, hiding other feelings ….
Then Akira Nagata from Japan came in, smiling …
I stood for a minute watching them ….
… I saw several young people enter the waiting area looking around curiously …
The first person to arrive was Tony Garcia from Colombia, closely followed by Julia Smith from Britain.
She stepped back appearing surprised and put up her hands, as if in defense.
5. … frowning and turning one’s back to someone shows anger.
… shaking the head from side to side means
Being respectful to people is subjective, based on each culture, but in general it is probably not a good idea to give a hug to a boss or a teacher.
Standing at a little distance with open hands will show that …
There are many ways around the world to show agreement, but nodding the head up and down is used for ….
6. These actions are not good or bad, but are simply ways in which cultures have developed.