1. You can easily c______ the problems if you study British history.
2. The three countries found themselves u_________ peacefully instead of by war.
3. They are going to get Ireland c _______to form the United Kingdom.
4. England is the largest of the four countries and for c______ it is divided into three zones.
5. But London has been i_______ only by some invaders of England.
6. The beauty of the artist"s style ________(在于) in its simplicity.
7. We shall not let such a small matter_______(分裂) us.
8. I have been p__________ about this question for weeks now.
9. We d_________ on the question till late into the night.
10.He was compelled to join the ___________(工会) as a condition of getting the job.
11.They are anxious to develop friendly _______(关系)with their neighboring countries.
12.I am innocent, I got this money l_________.
13. The a__________ of the moon for the earth causes the tides.
14. The c__________ of these stamps took ten years.
15.She"s doing a p________ on adult education.
17.We have already made a__________ for our vacation
18.A golden w__________ is the fiftieth anniversary of a marriage.
19.Some people like to lie on the beach, but I prefer __________(观光).
20.The swimming pool is___________(可利用的) only in summer.
21.He enjoyed the _________(趣事、乐事) of New York"s night life.
22.Students in No.2 middle school should wear school u_________.
23.The king was wearing a _________(有光彩的) golden crown.
24.The S________ of Liberty stands in New York Harbor.
25.She was t________ with terror when she saw the scene of the murder.
26.He is__________(伶俐的,机警的;精明的) and can take care of himself.
27.He remained___________(始终如一的) in his opposition to anything new.
28.The situation suddenly became ________(紧张)
29.There"s an _________(错误) in your calculation.
30.Most of the s__________ made at the meeting were not very practical.
blame; in addition to ; under control; expect; attend; lead to; enthusiastic; take the place of; make sense; puzzle; consist of; draw a conclusion; contribute to; expose to; valuable; break down; apart from; announce
I got a new job in Catholic University in Washington. 1 a good chance, I was offered a new flat to live in. One summer vacation, 2 going to the park, I had not been outside my flat, doing an experiment about a disease. The results of the experiment were 3 to me and they would 4 the success of my research. It is really difficult 5 without enough evidence. I felt quite 6 . I even doubted that the experiment would 7 . Gradually, I was not 8 about it. After all, too much hard work and too little rest 9 illness. One night, I went out to 10 a lecture by a famous philosopher. Inspired by him, I went back to continue the experiment and eventually got the 11 result. How happy I was! The next day, I proudly 12 that the disease was 13.
People often say that the Englishman’s home is his castle(城堡). They mean that the home is very important and personal. Most people in Britain live in houses 1 flat, and many people own their homes. This means that they can make them individual(个人的) ;They can 2 them and change them in any way they 3 .In a crowded city the individual knows that he or she has a private space which is 4 for himself or herself and for 5 friends.
People usually like to mark their space . Are you sitting now in your home or in a beach or a train? If you are on the beach you may have spread your 6 around you; on the train you may have 7 your coat or small bag on the seat beside you; in a library you may have one corner or chair which is your own.
Once I was traveling on a 8 to London. I was in a section for four people and there was a table between us. The man on the 9 side to me had his briefcase on the table. There was no 10 on my side of the table at all. I was made rather 11 . I thought he thought that he owned the 12 table. I took various papers out of my bag and put them on 13 ! When I did this he stiffened and his eyes nearly popped out of his head. I had invaded (侵犯) his space ! A few minutes later I took my papers 14 his case in order to read them. He immediately 15 his case to his side of the table. ( Of course , it is possible that he just wanted to be helpful to me ! )
1. A. rather than B. as well as C. as a result of D. or rather
2. A. buy B. leave C. paint D. offer
3. A. make B. clear C. like D. prepare
4. A. only B. already C. ever D. even
5. A. unwanted B. unexpected C. sick D. invited
6. A. towels B. sands C. papers D. flags
7. A. find B. give C. put D. store
8. A. plane B. train C. way D. street
9. A. opposite B. back C. wrong D. good
10. A. matter B. weight C. light D. space
11. A. angry B. hurt C. fearful D. busy
12. A. right B. only C. small D. whole
13. A. the table B. his case C. the seat D. his side
14. A. into B. for C. off D. out of
15. A. hid B. set C. moved D. kept
Unit 2 The united Kingdom 练习答案
1 clarify 2 united 3 connected 4 convenience 5 influenced 6. consists 7 divide 8 puzzling 9 debated 10 union 11 relations 12 legally 13 attraction 14 collection 15 project 16 arrangements 17 wedding 18 sightseeing 19 available 20 delights 21 uniform 22 splendid23 uniform 24 Statue 25 thrilled 26 smart 27 consistent 28 tense 29 error 30 suggestions
In addition to; apart from; valuable; contribute to; draw a conclusion; puzzled; make sense; enthusiastic; led to ; attend ; expected; announced; under control
1---5 ACCAD 6---- 10 ACBAD 11---15 ADBCC