I---V Nelson Mandela—a modern hero
1. A great person is a someone who devotes his/her life to helping others. 伟人是把自己的生命奉献给帮助别人的人。(He started to study ecology and decided to devote his whole life to the science.他开始研究生态学，并决心将他的一生献身于这门科学。He devoted himself entirely to music.他将一生奉献给了音乐。)
2. fight against 对抗，反对，与......作斗争
We are all brothers in the same fight against injustice.在共同反对非正义行为的斗争中, 我们都是同志.
People often have to fight for their liberty.人们往往不得不为自由而战。
He and his wife are always fighting about who will take after the children. 他与他妻子总是在为由谁来照看孩子而吵架。
3. He worked selflessly in China as a doctor and saved many Chinese soldiers. 作为一个医生他无私地在中国工作，并且拯救了很多中国战士。
4. He strongly believed in the three principles: nationalism; people’s rights; people’s livelihood.
5. be free from 免于，不受
A judge must be free from prejudice.法官必须不抱成见。
6. in a peaceful way 以和平的方式
7. be in prison 入狱，在狱中服刑
in the prison 在监狱
8. the same…as…和......一样
9. the first man to land on the moon 第一个登上月球的人
10. The time when I first met him was a very difficult period of my life. 第一次见到他的时候是在我一生中非常艰难的时期。(定语从句)
11. He was generous with his time,for which I was grateful.他十分慷慨地给予我时间，我为此非常感激。(He is generous with his money.他花钱大方。I am grateful to you for helping me.感谢你的帮助。Our grateful thanks are due to you.我们衷心感谢你。)
12. have little education 受的教育少
13. I could not read or write well. 我既不会读也不会写。
14. I worried about whether I would become out of work. 我担心我是不是会失业。
15. I became more hopeful about my future. 我对自己的未来充满了希望。(I am hopeful that she will come tomorrow. 我对她明天要来抱着希望。)
16. as soon as I could 尽快， 马上
17. The last thirty years have seen the greatest number of laws stopping our rights and progress, until today we have reached a stage where we have almost no rights at all. (定语从句) 过去30年来所出现的大量法律剥夺我们的权利，阻挡我们的进步，一直到今天，我们还处在几乎什么权利都没有的阶段。 (The 19th century saw many changes. 许多变革发生于19世纪。at an early stage in our history
18. …we were put into a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government. 我们被置于这样一个境地：要么我们被迫接受低人一等的现实，要么跟政府作斗争。
19. Only then did we decide to answer violence with violence. 只有到这个时候，我们才决定用暴力反抗暴力。(Only 位于句首，修饰副词、介词短语或状语从句时，句子采用部分倒装的语序;修饰状语从句时，只有主句采用部分倒装的语序。
如：① Only in this way can you come up with a solution to the problem.只有这样，你才能想出解决这个问题的办法。
② Only after being asked three times did he come to the meeting.叫了三次他才来参加会议。
③ Only when he is seriously ill does he ever stay in bed.病的很重时，他才卧床休息。
Only then did I realize my mistake. 直到那时我才知道我的错误.)
20. as a matter of fact 事实上 (As a matter of fact，it is health that counts. 事实上，健康才是最重要的。 As a matter of fact, parents don’t want their children to be in trouble. 事实上，父母都不希望子女有麻烦。)
21. In 1963, I helped him blow up some government buildings.
在1963年，我帮助他炸毁了一些政府大楼。(Can you lend me a pump to blow up my bicycle tyres?
Then it turned out that some stars, like our own sun will blow up one day. 然后，事实上有些恒星，就像我们自己的太阳，有朝一日会爆炸。)
22. …I knew it would help us achieve our dream of making black and white people equal. ......我知道这是为了实现我们的黑人和白人平等的梦想。
23. in trouble 处于困境 遇到麻烦? ?
Do as you"re told, otherwise you"ll be in trouble.叫你怎麽做就怎麽做, 否则有麻烦.
24. be willing to do sth. 愿意，乐于Only very few people would be willing to share with him their opinions.很少有人愿意跟他分享他们的见解。
25. What was his attitude towards the unfair situation black people faced? 他对黑人面临的不公平处境什么态度?
26. turn to 变成;求助于，借助于, 翻到，转向??
She had no one to turn to for advice.