I was born in 1642 in France. In 1822, I was built as an____, _______ instructions from cards with holes. In 1936, my real father, Alan Turing, described how computers could be _____work in a book and solved any mathematic problem by_________ a ________machine. People were surprised at my artificial_______. At first, I was _______a large room. As times has ________, I have been made smaller and smaller. In the1960s, I got new transistors. My memory became larger and larger, but I got cleverer and cleverer, quicker and quicker. I could share information with others and talk to each other ____ a net. It was in the_________ that my family and I have been used by billions of people. I am happy that I have truly been built to______ humane race since my birth.
1. Bricks, sand, glass and so on are building ____________ (材料).
2. The President thanked the soldier __________ (亲自) by telephoning him.
3. __________ (总之), we finally found out what the problem was.
4. While he was listening to the lecture, he often wrote something on his ______(笔记本).
5. Are you allowed to use __________ (计算器) in your mathematics test?
6. Her job is to answer telephones and t_________ letters.
7. At the end of a letter you should write “Yours t__________” and your name.
8. The question is very s________. I think you can answer it.
9. She gave b________ to a baby yesterday and had to ask for leave.
10. We had no c_________ but to wait for his return.
1. Analytical Machine 2. Following 3. made to building 4.universal 5.Intelligence
6. the size of 7. gone by 8. by 9. 1970s 10. serve
1. materials 2. personally 3. Anyway 4. notebook 5. calculators
6. type 7. truly 8. simple 9. birth 10. choice
1. Although they are good friends, ____ they have little ____.
A. but; in general B. yet; in the common C. /; in common D. /; in general
2. --- Do you think the bad weather will ___________?
--- I ______________________.
A. go on; don’t hope to
B. keep up; hope not
C. take up; think not
D. keep on; don’t think so
3. --- Did anyone support you at the meeting?
--- Mike was the only person who ____ my opinion.
A. shared B. agreed C. cared D. accepted
4. ---Where is Li Lei?
---He was just seen ______ the building and go upstairs.
A. come into B. came into
C. coming into D. to come into
5. ___ my opinion, your article is well written ____.
A. In; in the way B. In; in a way C. On; on the way D. On; in a way
6. --- Must I turn off the gas after cooking?
--- Of course. You can never be careful_____ with that.
A. enough B. too
C. so D. very
7. As time _______, you’ll learn more.
A. goes by B. goes away
C. goes about D. goes off
8. --- I’ve got some wonderful news. We are going to spend a holiday abroad.
--- Really? ______________________.
A. I don’t believe so
B. I believe not
C. I can’t believe it
D. I don’t believe it
9. --- I’d like ________ information about the management of the hotel, please.
--- Well, you could have _______ with the manager. He might be helpful.
A. some; a word
B. an; words
C. some; words
D. an; a word
10. I ____ that the news is made up by a little boy.
A. have been told B. have told
C. was told D. told
11. ---I’m sorry I didn’t do a good job.
---Never mind. ____, you have tried your best.
A. At all B. All that C. In all D. After all
12. Seeing the car trapped in the snow drift, the driver didn’t know ______ it.
A. how to do
B. what to do
C. how to deal with
D. how to do with
13. We needed a new cupboard for the kitchen. So Peter made _____ from some wood we had.
A. it B. one C. himself D. another
14. I caught the last bus from town, but Harry came home _____ that night.
A. very late B. even later
C. the same late D. the last one
15. In some places of our country, people celebrate ______ birth of ______ child by giving
A. the; a B. the; the
C. 不填; a D. 不填;the
The famous British inventor George Stephenson was born in 1781 and died in 1848. One of his 1 important inventions was the train. He 2 his first train when he was forty-four years old. When he was experimenting with the 3 engine on the train, he met with 4 from the government, the newspapers and the gentlemen in the country. They said that the noise and the smoke would 5 cows, horses and sheep, that the 6 would burst or that the hot coals from it would 7 their houses. At that time, 8 people believed what they said.
George Stephenson 9 the people that the train could go on small 10 , could pull carriages 11 goods and passengers and there was 12 to them. It was a very 13 matter for him to 14 them believe. However, after 15 he was able to do it; and the first train that 16 by Stephenson himself 17 what he had said.
The first day 18 the people along the way 19 the noises of the train 20 and saw it running quickly to them, they ran back home as quickly as they could and closed their doors tightly, for they thought it a genie(妖怪). They did not dare to come out until it had passed.
( )1. A. very B. a lot C. most D. much
( )2. A. made B. bought C. introduced D. did
( )3. A. electrical B. atomic C. steam D. oil
( )4. A. success B. troubles C. people D. pleasure
( )5. A. kill B. buy C. interest D. take away
( )6. A. smoke B. noise C. driver D. engine
( )7. A. pull down B. blow away C. set fire to D. pass
( )8. A. most B. few C. only a few D. the rich
( )9. A. said B. spoke C. told D. warned
( )10. A. roads B. rivers C. steam D. rails
( )11. A. short of B. full of C. empty of D. without
( )12. A. no great danger B. dangerous C. a lot of danger D. few danger
( )13. A. easy B. difficult C. pleasant D. light
( )14. A. get B. cause C. make D. force
( )15. A. sometime B. some time C. a few times D. sometimes
( )16. A. was sold B. was driven C. was pulled D. helped
( )17. A. believed B. seemed C. sensed D. proved
( )18. A. of B. when C. while D. for
( )19. A. caught sight of B. listened to C. heard D. thought
( )20. A. nearby B. in the distance C. on the far D. from the distance