13.He ________ ________ ________ (不可能去) to Beijing last night. I saw him just now.
14. I don’t know what he’s doing. _________ __________ ________ _________ (我也不关心)
15. The child is lost in the mountain. The police ______ _______ the
mountain ______ (寻找)
16.This kind of wood can _____ ______ ______ (制成)
17.We can give them something _____ _______ _________ (作为回报)
It took George quite a while to find a 18 place for his car and in the end he had to leave it in a narrow street, 19 from the dentist’s. As he got out, he glanced at his 20 . His appointment(约会)was at five and he still had twenty minutes to 21 . He crossed into the square and 22 on a bench, partly to 23 the last of the afternoon sun, 24 to calm his nerves (神经). He hated these visits 25 the dentist(牙医).
As he sat there, watching the children at play and 26 to the old women talking to each other, he turned around to see a red car like his own come out of the 27 where he had parked. The car gathered speed and was soon 28 of sight. George 29 in his pockets for the keys: They were not there. “My car!” he cried 30 a loud voice, which made several people stare at him. He got up and ran across the 31 and then down the narrow street. His car was not to be seen--but then he discovered it concealed(被隐藏) 32 a large one. He was relieved (使宽慰)to find his 33 , still in his carks5u.
By the time he reached the dentist’s it was already five. “I had rather an odd (奇特的) 34 ,” he said to the dentist to explain his 35 . “I thought my car had been 36 .” “It’s quite 37 sir,” said the dentist. “As a matter of fact I have only just got here myself.”
18. A. leaving B. parking(停车) C. wide D. special
19. A. in a way B. far away C. some way D. near
20. A. watch B. teeth C. car D. place
21. A. leave B. sit C. spare D. see the doctor
22. A. stopped B. stepped C. stood D. sat down
23. A. shine B. enjoy C. get D. receive
24. A. but also B. so C. in order D. for
25. A. by B. of C. to D. with
26. A. listen B. listening C. to listen D. listened
27. A. car B. place C. street D. way
28. A. disappeared B. out C. left D. lost
29. A. looked B. felt C. found D. searched
30. A. with B. at C. in D. by
31. A. square B. hospital C. street D. bench
32. A. with B. behind C. after D. in
33. A. bags B. money C. keys D. card
34. A. chance B. luck C. thing D. experience
35. A. hateness B. reason C. lateness D. car
36. A. robbed B. stolen C. lost D. there
37. A. true B. good C. often D. all right
The kings of ancient Egypt planned strong tombs (坟墓) to keep their bodies
safe after death and to hold their treasures (财宝) . The Great Pyramid was built
thousands of years ago for a king called Khufu. It stands on the west bank of
the Nile River not far from Cairo. In fact all the pyramids along the Nile are
on its west bank. The ancient Egyptians compared the rising of the sun to the
beginning of life and the setting of the sun to the end of life. This is why
their dead bodies were buried (埋葬) on the west bank of the Nile. The people of
Mexico also built pyramids. They did not build the pyramids for tombs. They used
to build a pyramid and then a temple on top of it. The pyramids of Mexico are
not as high as the pyramids of Egypt, but they are big. Each of the pyramids has
a wide stairway (阶梯) that goes from the bottom to the top.
More pyramids were built in the Americas than in Egypt. About 90 pyramids are known to have stood in Egypt, while several hundred small pyramids are scattered (分散) across Central and South America. The biggest pyramid in Mexico is almost 2,000 years old. Scientists think it took 10,000 men more than ten years to build it. On the top they built a temple of the sun. The temple is no longer there but people still called it ______________________. Near it is another huge pyramid, the Pyramid of the Moonks5u.
What is the best title of the passage? (Please answer within 10 words.)
2. Which sentence in the passage can be replaced by the following one? The ancient Egyptians thought the rising of the sun stood for the beginning of life and the setting of the sun stood for the end of lifeks5u.
3. Please fill in the blank in the last paragraph with proper words or phrases to complete the sentence. (Please answer within 10 words.)
4. What are the different purposes of building pyramids in Egypt and Mexico? (Please answer within 30 words.) ___________________________________________________________________________
5. Translate the underlined sentence in the first paragraph into Chinese.