1. After the war，a new school building was put up ________ there had once been a theatre.
A. that B. where C. which D. when
2. ____ he took part in the competition， he won a second prize.
A. For the first time B. At a time C. At one time D. The first time
3. I would appreciate it _______ you call back this afternoon for the doctor’s appointment.
A. until B. if C. when D. that
4. I had just started back for the house to change my clothes _____ I heard the voices.
A. as B. after C. while D. when
5. The class went on with the story _____ they had left it before the holiday.
A. where B. which C. in which D. when
6. The company has a free long-distance telephone number _____ customers may call with any questions they have about its products.
A. although B. as C. even if D. so that
7. Is Mr. Smith in the office?
Yes，________ he is in charge of the office，he must be there.
A. since B. however C. whether D. for
8. Someone called me up in the middle of the night，but they hung up ________ I could answer the phone.
A. as B. since C. until D. before
16. The thread of my kite broke and it flew away. I had told you it would easily break ________it was the weakest.
A. when B. where C. unless D. since
17. The crowd started cheering ______ he rose to speak.
A. as B. since C. till D. where
18. I had worked here ______ you came here. But I shall leave for England ______.
A. before long， before long B. before long; long before C. long before， before long D. long before; long before
19. Scientists say it may be five or ten years _____ it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
A. since B. before C. after D. when
20. ___ the Internet is bringing the distance between people， it may also be breaking some homes or will cause other family problems.
A. When B. If C. As D. While
21. Though he is in his sixties， ______ he works as hard as a young man
A. yet B. but C. and D. and yet
22. The two girls look ____ much alike ____ no one can tell them apart.
A. so， that B. so， and C. as， that D. such， that